This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Is possible to change my IP addres?

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

TBH there is no need to do this, not unless you have a specific requirement for needing this, there are a few things to know about this, few isp's give you a static ip address (never changes) unless you specifically request it and often pay a premium for it depending on the service. The main part which is the most common among users, they are assigned an ip address every time they connect to the net, so changing your ip address can be as simple as rebooting, or rebooting the router so you physically make a new connection again, at least thats the general rule about most peoples set up's. Beyond that your getting into proxy territory, and although I know of it, I can't explain anything about it, but there are very few reasons a person would "need" to do this, hope that helps a bit anyway.
There is a particular website that when I go to it it issues a pop up advertising about a certain store unique to my town. No email is involved, nor any log in, so it makes me curious as to what is identifying me to that website, or my town. Any thoughts or suggestionss.
I Just ran Belarc and copied down my Auto primary IP address. Then I reboted and ran Belarc again. And the IP address remained the same. There is also something called Physical Address, and it stayed the same as before. Id be really greatful if you could explain more about how this works. Thanks, Robt
That sounds like you have some tracking cookies and the like, if so the ip address is irrelevant, the problem is your system has what would be considered to be an "infection" in the mildest of forms, this doesn't mean you need to panic, it may come under the infection umbrella in the loosest of ways, but it's not harmful, just annoying.

What I suggest is to update ALL protection, and run some scans, but not knowing what you have I can't say what would be most likely to work, but even if I did no single piece of software can catch everything, so multiple layers are best as they overlap, and each gets stuff the others may not, but there is a very important rule when it comes to protection, and thats the 1 at a time rule, basically when running a scan, or using real time protection of the same type as another product at the same time, so only run 1 firewall, 1 anti spyware and 1 anti virus at a time, you can have as many standalone scanners as you like, but only ever run 1 at a time, and disable real time protection of the same type before scanning with another standalone scanner.

So I will simply list some of the biggest names we all recommend, they are all free as standalone scanners, but if you buy them you can activate real time protection as well (but remember the 1 at a time rule), but you can use them for free without real time cover, it may look overkill, but you have nothing to worry about, but no matter what system I touch the following is the minimum I put on them, they offer protection and scanning\removal should it ever be needed, and it's a good habit to scan say 1 of these a week, so in a month you have run them all.
a-squared Free
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Spybot-S&D:- Note; The TeaTimer component of this is considered real time protection, most disable this part of the program, just look for the check boxes during the install and uncheck the TeaTimer component and you will be good to go.
SUPERAntiSpyware

Also listed are some junk file cleaners, they also clear out cookies, if you use cookies to avoid signing in each time let me know and I can tell you how to save the ones you want and just clear the junk, but again like the protection, each one gets bits the others miss.
CCleaner:- Note; Watch the options if you install the full version, you will need to remove the check marks in some of the options or you will add components you do not want like the Yahoo toolbar, so either use the Slim version, or take notice of what each check box gives you and remove what you do not want.
Disk Cleaner
CleanUp:- Note; This does not work with Vista, at least there is no support for it so even though some say it's OK it's best to not use with anything but what they list.

See what happens after you use these, hopefully they will remove the cookies I suspect that are causing this issue for you, hope it helps.
Thanks for all this good information. I do have C-Cleaner, newest versin, and run it several times a day. I don't have spybot because I alays thought it did the same thing as C-cleaner. I so have and run Web eraser and Adaware about once a week. My Antivirus is AVG free version, with newest updates. I do have a router because I have a tenant in a basement appartment and I supply him an internet connection. I welcome any thoughts and suggestions. Thanks, Robt
Hi Rob1960 These values, or something quite similar Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.102 / 24 Physical Address: 00:03:E3:02:47:E7 Are assigned by your Router to identify where your machine is in your Local Access Network. Those "addresses" are never seen by the anyone or any machine outside of your Network. ____________________- Your actual IP is quite different. And yes, it changes when you freshly log into the internet and rarely is assigned as the same as you have had previously, but it is occasionally and coincidentally possible from time to time, though not predictable. Websites that you visit are able (of necessity, must know your IP URL address) How else could information be accurately be directed back to you? It is quite likely that the "physical address" of your ISP connection is somewhat close to your own physical address. The website that you complain about is able to see your IP address ( just like all websites). and extrapolate a general physical area that would be described as your county or city or neighborhood, but not your exact address. From that, and your browsing habits, they can develop a best guess of where your interests lie and what your commercial interests might be.
http://www.ip2location.com/

Since the IP address has to point back to somewhere near you to route to you, it is relatively easy to see approximately where you're from. It wouldn't make sense for you Americans to use an Australian based ISP… it wouldn't make sense for routing purposes - though it might make it look like you're in a more awesome place. ;) In other words… it's nothing to worry about.
Hi… In case of Dynamic IP address whenever you reboot you will new IP address. And in dial up connection also you get new IP address whenever you connect to internet provider.
@Raktor <— :wavey:

Well put, mate. :thumbup:

though it might make it look like you're in a more awesome place :rofl:

[external image: Posted Image][external image: Posted Image]

Nice link too. :thumbup:

I don't have spybot because I alays thought it did the same thing as C-cleaner. I so have and run Web eraser and Adaware about once a week. My Antivirus is AVG free version, with newest updates.

No it is a layer of protection, it is not a junk file cleaner, but between that and the other tools I listed they get pretty much everything you can get, if these don't get something it's either too new (they haven't updated the files for it), or you need a more specialised tool, as to your anti virus, AVG is OK, but IMHO Avast is far superior, but use what you are most comfortable with, but if you ever wanted to try something else you at least have a name to try.

though it might make it look like you're in a more awesome place. ;) In other words… it's nothing to worry about.

ROFL :rofl:
Hello.. I just read you post and I have some information about this topic. Before trying any other methods to change your IP address, try turning off (or unplugging the power of) your Cable/DSL modem for five minutes. In many cases this will change your IP address. However, if that does not change your IP address, repeat the process for 8 hours (overnight works well) instead of 5 minutes. Hopefully this will result in an IP change. So just try for this solution.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI