This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

WIN XP SP3 BSOD 1yr After New Install

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This system is a Dell XPS, Intel P4, 3 GHz, 1GB DDR SDRAM, that has had its drivers & BIOS updated to the versions provided by Dell. The original OS was WIN XP Home SP1. Over a year ago I performed a new install of copy of MS WIN XP Professional SP3 (from a valid MS CD) on a new 160 GB HD, reinstalled all my apps, and "all was well" - for over a year… Apps-wise, I am a fairly consistent user and stick with proven programs (Firefox, MS Office 2003, SuperAntiSpyware Pro, Outpost Firewall, Avast A/V Pro, etc.) To my knowledge, I've never had a virus, trojan, keylogger, or other such intrusion into my system. About a month ago, I began to have an intermittent problem with the icons in the quick start area not showing-up after boot-up. The system would freeze, but a reboot typically correct the problem - until last Monday (8/19/13). When I turned-on the computer, I saw the BSOD with the following stop code: STOP 0x0000008E ( 0xC0000005, 0xF3A817E0, 0xF7985F94, 0x00000000 ) I am able to boot-up the system in the Safe mode and in the Directory Service Restore Mode, which I am using now as it allows me to use my wireless printer and a 1024 x768 graphics mode. I did boot-up once using the Boot Log Enabling mode and have a copy of the resulting ntbtlog.txt file (attached). While I can "live" with using the system in its present crippled mode, it does have its drawbacks - such as not allowing me to burn a CD. I'm hoping that the resident forum experts will be able to provide me with some diagnostic direction that will help me identify the probable cause of this problem so that I can take corrective action. Thank you…

Attachments:

Hi Wighty44,

Welcome to WTT forums and sorry to hear of the 8e stop error.

1 This can be caused by a lot of things and if there is no reference in the stop error code ( examine the blue screen carefully) to a particular file or driver then you can take a look here for the procedures to follow

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrorm…p0x0000008e.htm


2 I would be inclined to check your RAM as a first step…. Taking all personal safety and ESD precautions remove your RAM modules and then replace them making sure they are seated correctly…(the act of removing and replacing them "cleans" by abrasion. the contacts that can sometimes, become oxidised)

3 Next step is to run a good memory testing utility like memtest (allow it to run overnight)

http://www.memtest.org/

4 The final step (for the moment!) is to try using a system restore point created before the problem started

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

5 As your protections in the form of anti virus etc may not provide protection when operating in safe mode…. the problem really needs addressing promptly, and the computer should not be used (apart from repairing/testing it) until it is fixed.

6 Lastly are your "Windows updates" all in place?…. as there are hundreds of them needed post installation of SP3 or on a new system with SP3

Regards

paws

Hi Wighty44,
Welcome to WTT forums and sorry to hear of the 8e stop error. [reply trimmed…]
Regards, paws

Paws,
Thank you for your reply and diagnostic recommendations.

Another online BSOD repair source (Tim Fisher, About.com) I was able to find online later in the day (your #1 reference), stated,

The most common cause of the STOP 0x0000008E error is memory that is damaged or has stopped working properly for some reason; rarely by device driver issues, viruses, or hardware failures other than your RAM.

, which aligns with your #2 item.

I have already d/L'd a copy of memtest86 but as My burner stopped working, I'd have to order the CD version. So to save time and eliminate the RAM possibility, I have ordered new RAM from Crucial (twice what I now have in the box) which should be here in a couple days.

When it comes, I will not only replace the 10yr old RAM, but re-seat all the cables, plugs, and cards on the MB and elsewhere. I can't hurt to clean-off a little built-up contact resistance.

With the exception of a couple of fans, monitor, HD, BIOS battery, Video card, and, DVD burner, my MB and other hardware is 10 years old. But I love XP and will work to keep it running until some SW I might need doesn't use it. The system also gets a good cleaning (dust-wise) every few months to maintain good interior ventilation.

Again, thank you for your thoughts and assistance. I'll keep you posted on the results…
While waiting, remove half the ram and see what happens. If it still fails, swap the ram. It's a good way to see if ram is causing a problem or not.
Status Update:
After cleaning out the system's internals (dust, etc.) and re-seating all cables and plugs, I installed 2GB of new RAM (was 1GB).

I had high hopes that the problem would be solved but I was not so fortunate. The BSOD was back upon power-up. But I noticed a change in the second error code:
  • It was: STOP 0x0000008E ( 0xC0000005, 0xF3A817E0, 0xF7985F94, 0x00000000 )
  • It now is: STOP 0x0000008E ( 0xC0000005, 0xB4D327E0, 0xF7985F94, 0x00000000 )
Although I hate to admit it, I haven't allowed any Windows updates since I first installed the fresh copy of XP Prof. SP3 (May 2012) because I had a bad experience updating the older SP1 version.

Even though I'm having trouble understanding how not updating XP might create this problem, I believe my next step will be to now get all the SP3 Windows updates installed - unless someone has another thought.
Are there any dumps in C:]Windows\minidump? If so, zip up the last few and upload here so we can look at them. Use the Browse, Upload and Manage Current Attachments buttons below the message input area to upload the resulting zip file here.

Are there any dumps in C:]Windows\minidump? If so, zip up the last few and upload here so we can look at them

That folder does not exist on my computer (anywhere).

Would copies of the Event Manager logs be helpful? If so, I could clear them out and reboot to the BSOD to create new logs that might record something that might help.

I did start Windows Update. It D/L'd 138 update files that are now "sitting on the sidelines" waiting for me to have them installed. Three (3) of them [unused modem card, IE8, and Windows WGA] I don't plan on installing. I have turned "update" off as it is consuming too much CPU time.

However, I've been waiting for a "green light" before I start installing them in case that might complicate this problem.
No, I just wanted to see what the dumps said about the cause of the BSOD.

Maybe you need to show hidden files and folders?

Open Control Panel then Folder Options and click on the View tab.
Select "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
Click Apply and OK

See if C:\Windows\minidump is visible now and if there is anything in it.

Maybe you need to show hidden files and folders?
Open Control Panel then Folder Options and click on the View tab.
Select "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
Click Apply and OK

My system was already setup that way - but I checked anyhow just to be sure. Still no Minidump folder. I use Windows Explorer a lot and view everything in a Detail view with nothing hidden.

Is there a Service I should check to see if it's disabled?

Edit: I think I found out why the minidump folder is missing. I did some research and found a system properties setting that was unchecked - Under Startup and Recovery / System Failure - "Write An Event to The System Log". I've checked it and when I reboot tomorrow morning I'll let the system go to the BSOD, and then attach the minidump logfile to my reply here.
ZTruker, I did as I noted above and after booting to the BSOD and then rebooted to the Director Services Safe Mode. Again I found no Minidump folder in the Windows directory. I re-checked the recovery setting and it was set for a 64K dump file to be placed in the Minidump folder. I did notice a windows/Debug folder and found the attached file that was modified during the boot-up and have attached it in case it serves some diagnostic purpose.

Attachments:

Followed those directions - attached a screen capture of my settings - but it did not produce a kernel.dmp file. I searched the HD for *.dmp just to be sure - found no DMP file. Later I'll try for a complete memory dump. BTW, I do appreciate your taking the time to help with my problem. Thank you!
No luck - no dumps…

Since my system has been unable to provide you with the dump information you wanted, I'm wondering what might be the next best step?

Although I consider myself reasonably well-versed in most computer operations, this area is not one of those areas. From what I've read I see three possible paths at this time:
1) Install the 138 Windows updates I've d/l'd via Windows Update, or
2) Selectively install the updates that only deal with security, the OS, etc; or
3) Perform XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total OS Rebuild outlined by Fred Langa in this June 2006 Information Week article, and if that works, then apply the Windows updates.

But as I'm not well versed in solving BSOD issue, I'm hoping Ztruker, or another forum expert, might offer their guidance in what to do next.

Whatever the recommendation I can move forward cautiously - thoughts?
Ok. No. 1 it is. Would there be any benefit to prioritizing the installation order of the updates? Such as, first all security & OS related, then hardware related (there is at least one UD for my video card), followed by application types such as Win defender, MS office, etc. I do understand about backing up the HD. I have an external HD dock with a 1 TB drive that clones my C: drive weekly using XXClone. In addition, I have a batch file that copies several important data and program configuration files to a USB drive and a compact flash card. Just to let you know, I will not attempt this process until next week as I have several other items going on this week that will prevent me from focusing all my attention on this "operation". I will keep detailed notes in the event something does not go well. As a last resort I do have legitimate XP Prof SP3 CDs, and for all my apps. But I will earnestly try not to have to start from scratch as I recall just how much "fun" that was… :(

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI