Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Is this a valid warning

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:24 AM

Can anyone advise me if this warning sign is valid and should I click on it to fix.
Wary in case it is some sort of virus.
it pops up on my desktop.

Posted Image

Edit....
I should have mentioned a Dell Inspirion 1300 laptop.

Edited by scudo, 30 June 2012 - 10:19 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:32 PM

Hi scudo, I've never seen that warning. And you are correct to refrain from clicking on items when you don't know their source nor function. Unless someone else identifies and has information for you, I would have a look at what's running via Task Manager, and look at StartUps beginning with MSCONFIG. Eventually, you may want to post over in the Malware Removal Forum to identify or rule out any nefarious processes. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:47 AM

Hi scudo, Like Doug I've never seen that warning either..... It may be genuine...... but the golden rule is: If you are not sure... then don't click on anything that agrees to do anything, or fix things...... Both of us may be being cautious here........ but its better to be safe than sorrry! Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#4 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for the replies, I only use the laptop when there is an issue with my desktop so rarely used, I have had the laptop easily 6 years and never have I seen that appear before. I am not awareof changing any settings so I cant explain it. As the laptop is basically a back-up for me there is no rush to identify the warning. I will wait for a bit longer in case someone can identify it before posting in the Malware removal forum. Thanks Scudo

#5 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

Does your system have bittorrent installed? Or perhaps mediaget ?
Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#6 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

In Add/Remove programmes I see Mediaget. Should I uninstall this. Scudo

#7 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

Mediaget is an "enhancement" to bittorrent. I believe it to be adware.

If you were to click on the "fix" button in the picture that you provided, I believe you would be routed to Mediaget which would do a scan and offer to make your system better than brand new if you just install their program (for a price).

If it were me... I wouldn't click on it and I would (at least attempt) to uninstall it. (I also wouldn't have bittorrent - or any of the similiar p2p programs - on my system)

Here are some instructions for removing Mediaget. (Uninstalling it using add or remove programs often doesn't work) http://forums.spybot...ead.php?t=64968 - Or... you can post over in the malware removal forum and get help.
Tomk
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#8 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

OK thanks Tomk I will try the uninstall from the link above and see what happens. I have no need for p2p programmes. thanks

#9 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

:thumbup:
Tomk
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014