This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Literally Hundreds Of Emails?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

For whatever reason something/someone opend a flood gate of emails on me. They are mostly returned mails as if I had sent someone an email and had it bounced back to me. I've heard of situations where someone hacks your address books and then for whatever reasons uses your email addy to send a slew of unnecessary emails. Is that what's happened here, and if som, how do I correct the situation?

For whatever reason something/someone opend a flood gate of emails on me. They are mostly returned mails as if I had sent someone an email and had it bounced back to me. I've heard of situations where someone hacks your address books and then for whatever reasons uses your email addy to send a slew of unnecessary emails. Is that what's happened here, and if som, how do I correct the situation?

It sounds like a bad guy used your email address in the return path for a bunch of spam he sent out, and as you noticed, they were bounced by many ISPs and filters.

You say sent to "slew of unnecessary emails" that is not right right - they are sent to 1000s of innocent users like all of us here who hate spam.

Who knows how they got your email address but you might as well abandon this one and get another then notify your contacts. If your address is used for a great many spam messages, your address will likely end up on blacklists - meaning peoples and corporate spam blockers will start blocking email from you. :(

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI