This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Rent a Center Acer laptop

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have an Acer laptop with windows 7 I am renting that runs very slow and sluggish. internet explorer takes longer than it should to respond. scrolling is slow and freezes sometimes. would like to check the system and see what I can do to speed things up. I havent done any maintenence yet. I asumed the store did all that before I rented it. any suggestions would help.
How much memory? Vista needs a minimum of 2GB. How much free space on the hard drive? How many programs are starting at boot time?
operating on windows 7. not vista. i have not changed my account settings here yet so it says vista from my old computer 252 GB of free space startup is smooth. no issue there.
Windows 7 should have 2GB min as well though it runs better in 1GB than Vista did.

Try resetting IE.

Reset IE8
Reset IE9

That will disable all toolbars and additional Add-ons which often are the cause of slow IE performance.
i reset IE as directed. still runs sluggish. pages still take a long time to load, sometimes the whole page doesnt load. I have had several IE errors pop up lately.any other suggestions?
to be honest if your renting it i'd just take it back and tell them your paying good money to rent from them so you want a laptop that works correctly and is not slow or sluggish like the one you currently have. :popcorn:
Obviously that is an option that I thought over, and under my current circumstances, i am not in a situation that would make that the best course of action, so I am here trying to figure out why the computer runs like a turd. I have used this site for well over 6 years and every problem I have ever encountered was taken care of. If you cannot help me, please direct me to someone that can. thank you. I should also mention that opening folders, files, control panel, etc etc seem to take much longer than it should.
oh i'm sure ztruker will get to the bottom of the problem eventually, i just couldn't see any reason to put yourself through all the time and trouble when it's a rented laptop. :thumbup: :popcorn:
Hi electriccrayon, Sorry to learn that you are having difficulties with this rental machine. As a website and as individual volunteers we are motivated to help people learn more about computers and computing uses. And we are supportive of folks who want to learn how to service their own machines. In this instance of a machine that is owned by a rental company, we have some complicating obstacles. 1. We do not know what policies and conditions the owner (rental company) has placed on the use and servicing of the machine. 2. We do not know what liabilities you may be subjected to by the owner (rental company), if you perform a service procedure that they do not authorize. 3. We don't have an agreement with the owner (rental company), which consents to assistance and procedures guided by third-parties (us volunteers). In your previous post, you state that you obviously considered the factors and possible conditions related to your own responsibility if you proceed with service procedures. That you made those considerations is very much to your own credit as a thinking consumer. But you want to get the machine to performe the way that you expect it to perform. That is understandable. However, to act on your preference to go ahead with diagnosis and repair, you must dismiss those concerns that relate to any obligation you may have to the rental company. We would be remis if we were to knowingly engage in these activities which might run counter to the owner's (rental company) policy and written rental agreement. That is why our only open course of action is to recommend, and your best recourse is to use, the services of the company from which you are renting this machine. Best Regards
well if thats the case, why doesnt whatthetech just tell everyone that posts a problem to take the computer back where they got it from. that would save everyone works for the site the trouble of helping anyone….. now will someone help me with this problem, or should I post to a different forum?
electriccrayon, As frustrating as it is to you, it is also difficult and frustrating to us as volunteers when we encounter these specific kinds of obstacles. I do hope that you will consider the successful history of your participation here at WTT as you accept that, in this instance, we decline to step between you and another party with whom you have a commercial agreement. Best Regards
You are welcome. Hopefully you and all the rest of us will enjoy additional successes here in these Forums in the future. Please accept my best regards.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI