Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Slow Machine - Particularly browser

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 solo58

solo58

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:25 PM

I'm not sure where to post this cry for help, but my laptop, a Toshiba C55-B5300, is running like a turtle.  

I realize I only have 4Mbytes of RAM and don't believe I can upgrade. 

A colleague at work says that as a Windows machine, it needs to be reloaded every few years - ugh!

Help!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:12 AM

A colleague at work says that as a Windows machine, it needs to be reloaded every few years - ugh!

That was [more or less] true many years ago but not with modern versions of Windows (W7 and newer). In fact, reloading Windows is a last ditch effort when everything else has failed because it sets you months if not years behind in security and driver updates, it often does not fix the problem, and if it does fix the problem, you don't learn why or how so you can prevent recurrence of the problem.

Sadly, you did not tell us what version of Windows you have installed. And is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

Have you scanned for malware?

Have you cleaned out the clutter with CCleaner or Windows Disk Cleanup?

What do you have starting with Windows? You typically don't need any auto-updaters.

How much free disk space do you have on your boot drive? If less than 30GB, see if there are any programs you installed you don't use and uninstall them.

• solo58 likes this
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#3 givemeit

givemeit

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:50 PM