Knowing I'm a bit of a computer freak, my son recently bought me a present of a W7 64bit pro. disk. Boy-o-boy was I disappointed with it :(

No, not any driver problem, it was just that almost every bit of software I had was written for 32bit and the whole system seemed (mostly) slower. Sure there is the RAM increase capability, so I added another 4Gb to the 4Gb I already had. Apart from a video editing program I have, nothing else benefited and I don't use that program very often. There were a few (favorite) program problems that just didn't have 64bit versions but no general driver issues.

I found no modern gaming improvements at all, even though improvements are commonly touted. I think the quote below sums up my experience of 64bit fairly well and the only thing really advantageous for the average PC user seems to be bragging rights at the moment.

http://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-64-bit-vs-32-bit-t484.html

Pros and Cons of a 64 bit system:

Having a 64 bit OS doesn't automatically make all applications faster because much of today's software is written and optimized for a 32 bit era. You'll need software specifically optimized for 64 bit processing to take advantage of any speed improvements. Fortunately, many games are already including such enhancements.

You may think that using a 64 bit OS for a 64 bit processor is an obvious decision, but it is not so straightforward. Introducing a new architecture will cause new compatibility and driver problems that wouldn't exist under the old 32 bit version.

You can address much more than 4GB of memory, which is ideal for avid gamers, CAD, video editors and heavy multi-taskers. However, any 32 bit software you use will still be restricted to 4GB memory – you need a 64 bit CPU, OS and applications to take full advantage of the extra RAM.
16 bit applications will no longer run. Although this is unlikely to be a problem, if you use very old software (from the Windows 3.1 days!) then it will not work under a 64 bit OS.

Existing 32 bit drivers no longer work.If you have older or poorly supported hardware you may find that it can no longer be used. Got a 7 year old scanner that just about works in Vista? You may not be able to get it working in 64 bit Windows 7.
Unsigned kernel-mode drivers no longer work. Along with the issue above, the inability to run unsigned kernel mode drivers will cause problems for old hardware. (There is reportedly a way to bypass this check).
Running some 32 bit applications on a 64 bit OS could actually be slower. The additional overheads in running 32 bit software in 64 bit mode could cause a slight degradation in performance. It will take some time for 64 bit software to become the norm.


64bit is the way of the future that's for sure, but as always, software (a lot of which still still has 16bit code among the 32bit code in it) is still a long way behind hardware and it's software we use and experience, not modern hardware, regardless how super-duper it is!

Cheers,
Lee