Software
32 bit or 64 bit that is the question?
2 min read
Jimbo1
Topic Starter
Ok other day buddy of mine was talking and somehow we got around to the 32 bit or 64 operating system. I went and told him I saw no use to even waste money on a system thats using a 64 bit operating system with less than 4 megs or memory, because its a waste, in order to take full advan. of the 64 bit system you need more than 4 gigs of ram, any lower the system not doing any good.
Beside a lot of software not even written for 64 bits yet, the other factor is that a lot of 32 bit software will not run in a 64 bit system, some older 32 bit system still uses some 16 bit software. It would be better to wait till the software side catches up. Now on the other take such as gaming or RPG's I would go to a 64 bit system, but for a normal home user just crusing the net, using WP or Excell and just doing e-mail reading a higher end system like that is wasting their money.
So any how whats your take on this to be or not to be that is the question.
Doug
You're both correct.
My own best guess is that 64-bit will claim an increasingly large portion of machines and software.
Drivers are already much less of an issue than they were a couple of years ago.
Here's a list of software (not authoritative) that will help you get a start.
some work well on both 32/64 bit
Some have minor problems with 64-bit
Some are not compatible with 64-bit
My own best guess is that 64-bit will claim an increasingly large portion of machines and software.
Drivers are already much less of an issue than they were a couple of years ago.
Here's a list of software (not authoritative) that will help you get a start.
some work well on both 32/64 bit
Some have minor problems with 64-bit
Some are not compatible with 64-bit
Jimbo1
You're both correct.
![]()
My own best guess is that 64-bit will claim an increasingly large portion of machines and software.
Drivers are already much less of an issue than they were a couple of years ago.
Here's a list of software (not authoritative) that will help you get a start.
some work well on both 32/64 bit
Some have minor problems with 64-bit
Some are not compatible with 64-bit
Ok was their suppose to be a link?
Doug
Hi Jimbo,
Yes, I forgot to insert the link to a list that I was browsing for the first time.
Since it was the first time, I chose to describe it as "non-authoritative".
Unfortunately, I regularly wipe my temps and history, so I am unable to find where I was browsing.
Bummer.
I'm sorry.
However, you can learn a great deal about the difference between Windows 64 bit and Windows 32 bit by using a google search on "32 bit v 64 bit" or "compatibility 32 bit and 64 bit"
It is interesting reading and introduces this portion of the inevitable wave of the future.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI