This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Cant find networks 2 different OSs two different devices

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello all, Ive got a real headscratcher here. I have an IBM thinkpad T41 with an intergrated atheros wireless adapter. Windows wont detect any wireless networks. After trying a few things I decided its time for a new wireless device… I purchased a Realtek usb wireless adapter; no luck. Windows still will not detect wireless networks. And yes, Im using the new device. So it appears it has nothing to do with the wireless device. Its a software issue! grrr.. Why would windows not detect any networks?! I know the router works fine as theres 2 laptops and an Ipad connected. Next up, I ran Puppy linux from a live CD. The wireless set up wizard found wireless networks…everyones but mine… No matter how many times I scan it will only find the neighbours wireless. So next I tried Pwireless (still on puppy here) and that finds my BT home hub but wont connect! So back to windows: winsockfix: no luck netstumbler: finds my router on the new wireless device. ipconfig /all tells me "An internal error occurred: A device attached to the system is not functioning." It tells me this wether the old device is enable or disabled. I think this is the key. So why cant I detect or connect to my network? Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers ps. the laptop is running xp
Remove the USB wireless device then reboot, enable the onboard wireless (check to make sure it's turned on). Open Device Manager and Expand Network Adapters. Any yellow marks there or anywhere? Check Services to see if Wireless Zero is running for XP or WLAN Autoconfig for Vista or Windows 7.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI