Hello everybody.
Since I moved my PC to another location, I haven't been able to detect any wireless networks on it. I searched the internet (including every topic in this 'networking' section), but none of the answers proposed there, were able to fix the problem… I think i found the problem, but since i'm not at all an expert in these matters, i don't know how to fix it…
The ipconfig /all tells me that the 'status of the medium' (of the wireless networkconnection) is 'disconnected'. (words might be slightly different since i'm translating from dutch into english). The Linksys Wireless Network Adapter i'm using is installed correctly (i reinstalled driver a few times) and Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration is started. As i said: i tried everything people here came up with, but somehow my PC cant detect any networks (while my laptop and another PC in the same house can).
It must be somekind of wrong setting that prevents me from detecting networks and i think it has something to do with the disconnected medium.
Again: i'm not very skilld in these things, so apologies if my text is a bit confused
I'm looking forward to any solutions!
Thanks in advance!
Hi Doug,
Thanks for you answer. You’re right of course, i should specify. I moved my PC from province A to province B in Belgium. In province A, I used a cable for internet connection and that worked fine obviously. In province B however, I have to connect to a wireless network to get on the Internet, and that is indeed the problem I’m having now. Strange thing however: I already connected this PC to the same network (that isn’t visible now) automatically and without any problems in province B in the past (before I moved the PC to A). So I thought it would work just fine again now, but apparently a setting on the PC must have changed or something. The network transmits and can easily be received, since I’m writing this on a laptop next to the PC. The problem is that the PC can’t even detect the network (if it could, connecting wouldn’t be much of a problem I guess).
In Control Panel –> Network Connections, there is a pictogram of the wireless network (stating that it isn’t connected however), just as it has always been there. Right click and Repair doesn’t work since I get a message like this (probably not literally, since translated into English): “Problem can’t be solved because the following action can’t be terminated: connecting to wireless network”.
Concerning the network adapters: I use Linksys Wireless-G PCI Network Adapter with Speedbooster, which is correctly installed (I reinstalled drivers a few times without success) and it says the hardware functions perfectly…
There haven’t been any encryption changes since I connected to the Internet with this PC in the pas (not on the router nor on the PC itself).
Ipconfig gives me this for the wireless connection:
Status of medium: medium disconnected
Description: Linksys Wireless-G PCI Network Adapter with Speedbooster
The disconnected medium looks rather odd, because as I said: everything is installed and configured correctly (and as it was the last time I successfully connected to the wireless network in .
Something that may be important: there always have been 2 ‘preferred networks’ (sorry for any bad translation) in the ‘wireless networks’ tab in the property field of the wireless connection. None are in the list now however. I don’t know if this is of any importance, but since they’re suddenly gone, it may have something to do with the problem. As I said: I’m not very skilled in these things
Hopefully this is of some use and thanks again for your quick answer!
-K-
Hi,
until Doug gets back to you try this:
1 On the pictogram of your networks disable your LAN and any other connections APART FROM your wireless network
2 Right click the wireless network icon and select "enable"
3 when you have done this see if you can "repair" the wireless connection…(Right click on it etc)
4 Make sure that your are using either the Windows Wireless Xero config OR a your proprietory wireless application manager (not both at the same time….
5 Recheck in Device Manager that your wireless network adapter has a good set of working drivers and with no yellow or Red warnings against it.
6 Right click your wireless network Connection Icon and click on Properties
7 Click on the tab along the top "General"
8 Check that your correct wireless network adapter is showing and that it is working correctly( click on "Configure" to check
9 Make sure that there is a tick in the two white boxes at the bottom labelled:
"Show Icon…"
"Notify me…"
10 make sure there is a tick in the white box to the left of "Internet Protocol TCP/IP"
11 click on Internet Protocol TCP/IP to highlight and click Properties
12 Make sure there is a dot in the radio buttons labelled
"Obtain IP address…"
"Obtain DNS server…"
13 Click the tab at the top "Wireless connections"
14 It is often wise to let Windows configure your wireless network settings so tick the box to the left at the top
15 Remove any wireless networks that you dont use, leave only the SSID of the wireless access point you are using
16 Click on the wireless SSID you are using ( to highlight it and click on Properties
17 check that the SSID and the password is correct ( the same as is set in your wireless access point ( router)
18 IMPORTANT ..the type of encryption used in the router and on your computer must match exactly… WPA is not the same as WPA2 and you must select TKIP or whatever is set in your router…double check this.
19 Ok your way out and reboot your router and then your computer
20 post back and let us know any error messages you receive ( and at what steps) and we will advice the next procedure to follow.
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI