This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Service Pack 3

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Microsoft says the best way to get SP3 is to turn on automatic updates, but I want to download it now. How can I do this ? The last time I waited for more than a week to have automatic updates give me the SP3 download. I have my setting checked to (Download the updates automatically and notify me when the are ready are ready to be installed). On Microsoft's web site they have a download available but it's for IT professionals and developers downloading and installing on multiple computers on a network. Please help.

On Microsoft's web site they have a download available but it's for IT professionals and developers downloading and installing on multiple computers on a network. Please help.



You can download and use that one. :thumbup:
I downloaded SP3 and I got the blue screen (A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND WINDOWS HAS SHUT DOWM) PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA TECHNICAL INFO xxx STOP:0x000000050, (0xE88BCE,0x00000001, 0x00000002 What do I do. ?
Hi safan,

What was the original problem which prompted you to need to install SP3.

Windows XP and SP3 has been around for such a long time, that every system should have already been updated to SP3.
Therefore, you must have encountered some situation which caused you to reinstall XP and then needed to update to SP3 ?

Please be very specific about the originating problem.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA – STOP:0x000000050 is often associated with RAM memory failure.

Have you tested your RAM memory with Windows Memory Diagnostic?

You can read about Windows Memory Diagnostic at many places on the internet, including here at WTT Forums
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=103823
or
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetr…-diagnostic.htm

If Windows memory Diagnostic detects "any" error, you have a hardware problem with RAM Memory that will need to be refitted, but probably replaced with new RAM.
______________________________________

Occasionally, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA can be associated with installed software.

Possible suspects include:
–Third-party Firewall applications
– Daemon Tools components.

Please post back with additional information about the originating problem and any progress you are experiencing.

Hi safan,

What was the original problem which prompted you to need to install SP3.

Windows XP and SP3 has been around for such a long time, that every system should have already been updated to SP3.
Therefore, you must have encountered some situation which caused you to reinstall XP and then needed to update to SP3 ?

Please be very specific about the originating problem.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA – STOP:0x000000050 is often associated with RAM memory failure.

Have you tested your RAM memory with Windows Memory Diagnostic?

You can read about Windows Memory Diagnostic at many places on the internet, including here at WTT Forums
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=103823
or
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetr…-diagnostic.htm

If Windows memory Diagnostic detects "any" error, you have a hardware problem with RAM Memory that will need to be refitted, but probably replaced with new RAM.
______________________________________

Occasionally, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA can be associated with installed software.

Possible suspects include:
–Third-party Firewall applications
– Daemon Tools components.

Please post back with additional information about the originating problem and any progress you are experiencing.


Hi Doug, thanks for helping out……I was building a new computer. New motherboard, hard drive, processor,and ram. After I finished installing windows xp home edition and my drivers, I didn't have any problems, until I installed SP3….

I haven't tested my ram. You informed me in my other thread (Compatible Memory) http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=122632 that I would have to have a 64bit OS in order to run 4gb or more of ram. Could my ram be the problem. ?

Also I wanted SP3 because I wanted wmp11 and some of my software requires SP3, Like my webcam.
Hello again safan,

Interesting problem.

The least expensive way to find a solution might be to acquire/purchase a couple of 1024mb sticks of the appropriate type of RAM and then boot to see if your Windows XP then "behaves itself" by addressing only to the detected range of RAM memory addresses.

A slightly more expensive route could be to acquire/purchase a Windows operating system in 64bit version.
That could be in Vista 64bit or Windows 7 64bit (with preference toward Windows 7 64 bit)
Then reinstall with the 64bit system you acquire to see if the OS correctly expands the addressing range to handle the entire 8gb of your current RAM.
An even cheaper way to test is to remove one of the memory modules and see what happens. If the problem goes away then the one you removed may be bad. If it happens again, swap it with one still in the computer and try gain. How much ram do you actually have?
@Ztruker…

As usual, your recommendations make good sense.

In this case safan has two sticks of 4 gb each, which may be too much for the 32bit OS presently installed.

I've used 4 gigabytes as 2gb x 2gb in 32bit systems successfully.
But this machine is behaving temperamentally, and if the cause is its inability to address excess RAM, it is remotely possible that even a single 4gb stick would cause the problem, even if the stick was good.

I suppose there also may be a throttle setting in BIOS Setup that selects to recognize optional amounts of RAM, but I've never actually seen such a thing.

Anyways, thanks for contributing and back-stopping for me. :notworthy:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI