I am hoping I can update my 2006 HP Media Center with Windows XP from service pack 2 to 3. How would I know if it has the capability to do that? Is there a way to easily check this? Thanks
Would like to update XP to service pack 3
9 min read
Hi sleepybear, you should be OK to add SP3 to your 32bit XP installation. ![]()
I guess you have reasons for wanting to install it on a no longer supported operating system, and you are aware of the dangers of using XP unless it is isolated from other data sources (and the Internet) unless you take extraordinary precautions?
If you need further information, then just ask..
Here's the link for the SP3 download
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24
You will probably be prompted by Microsoft to download via the Microsoft Update Centre, but there will be a radio button to continue with this download and that's the one you need to use…( the Continue button)
The download is headed as being for use by IT pros and Developers but it will be just fine for your purposes.
Post back and let us know how you get on.
Regards
paws
Thank you Paws, Yes I know the risks, unfortunately I don't have a choice here. My question is this particular PC, Can it handle SP3? With the trouble I had last year when Ken helped me. Is there some sort of print out I can make to see if this has the framework, memory, other existing problems etc. Before making an attempt to load SP 3?
Hi sleepybear,
Thank you Paws, Yes I know the risks
OK that's fine…
( but I had to mention it!)
1 I'm not sure why you are wondering if your computer is capable of installing SP3…? is there anything you think may be creating a problem?
2 You don't give us any details of your computer, but anything bought from a computer retailer in the high street…. should be just fine.
The only likely problem would be if you had built a specialist "one off" machine, or used an embedded operating system such as was used in various types of hardware such as ATM machines, Point of Sale terminals and the like…. and these are outside the general scope of things covered by our forums….
3 If there are problems with your existing installation of XP then installing SP3 would not necessarily be a "cure all" a wise first move would be to either fix any existing problems or perform a clean reinstall or "Restore to Factory of XP and then install SP3
4 Before you do anything, make sure your back ups are good and contain everything you need with at least one extra copy kept safe offsite on removable media. You should also check your disc images, make sure that you have, both, good, recent and original disc images and a method of booting your computer should Windows not co-operate at any time in the future. *If you find that any of your disc images are unreliable, then make a fresh image now using your usual application… Norton Symantec Ghost, Acronis, Drive Image or whatever. ( I find that Macrium Reflect free version is good… but as always its your call) Validate the images and have redundancy, using both Macrium and one or two other disc imaging utility is good practice….
5 If you have the Microsoft XP media Centre installation discs (there are generally 2 discs) then guard them carefully, they are scarcer than hens teeth! and without them you will need to use the computer manufacturers' recovery partition or installation discs. Failing that a local competent computer technician should be able to assist (as most, but alas not all, have the required discs) but do obtain a fixed quotation for the work before you give the go ahead.
Post back if you need further information.
Regards
paws
Thank you. I had a major virus hit a little more than a year ago that Ken helped me clear up. It has been working great ever since. But it did take a major hit back then. Otherwise I have not have any problems with it since then.
There are so many back ups on this machine I would have to make I would not be able to do all that. (Many years of program files).
I just wanted to know if there was a way to check if I had the right framework left and whatever is required to install service pack 3 without something bad happening. So is there a spec file on my computer for that that I can look up and cut and paste to you? Or to print it out and show somebody before I make a mess of it.
Hi, All understood, but NO, unfortunately there is no specific method of testing.
However I am worried by your comments on back ups….
There are so many back ups on this machine I would have to make I would not be able to do all that. (Many years of program files).
Making a disc image is a straightforward procedure, and is like an "electronic photograph" of everything that is on your computer as it is at the moment.
Should major problems start in the future (that can't be solved in a timely or cost effective way by the usual methods, you will be able to "reimage" your computer, using that" electronic photograph" back to that exact state, (in terms of software, applications, programs, data, photos, music drivers etc etc) in less time than it takes to walk the dog!)
NOTE it obviously cannot fix hardware faults.
Taking a complete disc image of your machine's hard drive (using Macrium Reflect free version should not take you long and is not at all complicated, but you will need ideally an external hard drive or two (USB)… they are pretty inexpensive these days. ( you should have these anyway as part of your usual back up kit)
Living without a good disc image or two on any machine, is living dangerously! but on one running Win XP Media Centre with only SP2 installed …. errr…um…errr, shall be just say is……. "most unwise"… however as always it's your machine and your call on how you proceed.
You could try running sfc to check that all protected Windows system files are present and correct, and undamaged…. from a command prompt or run command, type
sfc /scannow
press enter
(Note the space it needs to be there)
sfc will try and automatically repair any missing, damaged or incorrectly located Windows protected system files, but may ask you to insert your Windows XP Media Centre installation discs so it can copy across replacement files. This is the only intervention you have to make.
Sfc does not offer significant challenges to your machine, in terms of stress imposed, but nevertheless I would still take an hour or two and get your disc images completed before undertaking it.
Once sfc has completed, usually only around 40 minutes or so ( there is a progress bar so you can see the speed at which the work completes) you should restart your machine.
Finally it would be worth running chkdsk with the r switch to check for disc integrity…. this is a much longer process, allow several hours, (maybe more) during which time you should not attempt to interrupt it or allow power to be cut off… ( use an UPS) this does challenge (stress) the system somewhat so you need to make your disc images first, before you start it and validate them…. also make a bootable disc…..so in the event that Windows has trouble starting in the future, you can boot from the disc and access your disc images kept safe on removable media…. Macrium and the other applications mentioned all have a "wizard to help in making this.
From a command prompt or run command type
chkdsk /r
and press enter
at the warning, type Y
press enter
type
exit
press enter
restart your computer and chkdsk will run fixing things if it can.
note the space in the above. it needs to be there.
When chkdsk has run it will restart your computer for you.
When you have completed all this you should be ready to install SP3
Post back if you need any clarification or amplification.
Regards
paws
Thank you very much. I no longer have the media centre discs it came with. So if "sfc /scannow" asks me to insert them, will it lock up the process if I cannot insert the discs?
If you no longer have the discs, and can't borrow them, you can just skip the files that sfc wants to copy….. there are ways to overcome this without the discs but if you have missing or damaged Windows protected system files ( as indicated by sfc asking for the discs) then a full reinstall using the Recovery partition would be well worth considering.
Regards
paws
Thank you very much Paws. I assume by that answer then it would be OK to run sfc. That it would not lock up the computer if I skip the files.
Hi sleepybear,
There is no common reason why running sfc should lock up your computer, it's normally a very safe procedure, but if it does ask for the installations disc to be inserted then you will know that there are faults with your installation. ( these faults could be severe, so that they should really be addressed fully, by replacing the missing damaged or badly located files, ……….or less significant in that they would only likely cause a problem in a particular set of circumstances, if that particular set of circumstances doesn't usually arise, then the problem may not be all that serious for you…Unfortunately there is no way of telling( in advance) other than by testing by operational means.
in addition to making sure that all your back up are 100%, and disc images validated (see step 4 on post 4 of this topic) it would be wise to check that your Recovery Partition has not been removed, (sometimes folks "tamper" with it and that is really bad news!) and that you know how to activate it, and are happy that it will do the job of returning your computer to its "factory" Condition should you be called upon to use it.
regards
paws
Thank you very much for your time and expertise. I do have the complete HP Recovery on Drive D and System restore seems to be intact. I put everything I could on to USB disk drives but not everything would transfer but I will make a go of it. After this (if it is capable that is) I will be trying to update this to windows 7 if I can find out if my most important programs and files on here will work with it. If it is OK with you I will make a separate topic header for this. Again thank you for your help.
Ok sleepybear, and goodluck
![]()
If you are going to switch to Win 7 then are you sure you want to bother trying to fix Win XP ???
Installing Win 7 usually means a fresh install (custom) that will replace your old operating system….. you will then need to install your applications programs from your discs (or downloaded executable files from your back ups)
I take it you have run the Microsoft Win 7 Upgrade adviser tool to see if your existing computer is Ok to run Win 7 ?
If not, that should be high on your priority list
Post back if you have any questions or open a new topic if you want.
Regards
paws
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI