This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Missing file: system32\hal.dll. at boot up

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I figured this doesn't necessarily belong in the virus help section of the forum, but it was meant to be there, please forgive me. I know for a fact that this was caused by some type of malware, but I can't do nothing about it now, I left it too long.

I recently started using my desktop, as I got a new laptop, totally neglecting it for the past year. I decided I was going to make some type of use with from it and decided to re-install the whole system again, I was the 12 set disc called "System Recovery" Windows XP Home Edition SP2. However, during the process of doing so, at the 49% mark, I had a lot of files that could not install and I decide it to ignore them all. I'm guessing this is where I messed up, I didn't worry so much because I had gone through this process twice already before with the same computer and I was thinking those files would be no biggie. Now that I restart my system I get Windows error that looks like the following;

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.


Now I understand I need the XP CD Installation, which I don't have, and I need to make a bootable CD or something as well…well which I'm completely lost in terms of understanding how all this works.

Again, if it's the wrong place, pardon me.

-Thanks
Hi Anakin, Are you trying to format your computer (wipe everything out ) and then reinstall Windows?
If so then make sure your back up is 100% accurate, complete, reproducible and with an extra copy kept safe offsite on removable media.

and decided to re-install the whole system again, I was the 12 set disc called "System Recovery" Windows XP Home Edition SP2.

12 discs is rather unusual, are these floppy disc's, or CD's ?
did you make them yourself or did they come with the computer?

If your recovery discs dont work then you will either need to:
1 Obtain new disc(s) from the computer's manufacturer/retailer
or
2 Use a disc image that you created when your computer was running fast and sweet.
or
3 Use a dedicated Recovery or "Restore to Factory" Partition" that may be on your hard drive…..(instructions on how to access this will be in the owners manual for your computer, or motherboard manual)…the partition may be hidden so you will need to use the special procedure prescribed in the owners manual in order to activate it.
or
4 Reinstall Windows from the Microsoft XP installation disc or manufacturers, Recovery disc.
Post back and let us know how you wish to proceed
Make and model number of your computer is always useful to us in enabling us to help you in these situations…
Regards
paws
I have a Compaq I'm not sure of the model, and the key is labeled on the side of my computer tower, so I'm guessing I'm good on that. And yes it's a 12 CD set, I had to order this a while back and paid about 40 dollars from the company, which left a bit of a sour taste my mouth. I'm not trying to wipe everything out completely I just want to know how to install hal.dll again.
Hi Anakin, 12 discs that is unusual….. however its most likely that they will format your hard drive ( wipe everything out) before reinstalling Windows….. if you have used these even though the reinstall was unsuccessful then its likely that you may have already wiped everything…if this is the case then I hope your back up is up to date, reproducible and with at least one extra copy kept safe offsite on removable media.

To replace the missing hal (hardware abstraction layer) is sometimes possible (providing your hard drive has not already been wiped) but often a Repair install of Windows is a better way forward.

if the discs you purchased do not work then maybe its best to contact the vendor and ask them to replace them with ones that will work.
Before going too far along the route of further reinstall attempts it may be wise to check your hard drive with the manufacturer's disc checking utility available from here:
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Burn the CD ( bootable) boot from it and run first the short test and if this OK then the long test…..

Hopefully there will be no errors found,,, but if there are signs of your hard drive beginning to fail then there is little point in trying to reinstall Windows on it as you need to buy and fit a new hard drive first.
Post back if you need any clarifications or explanations
Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI