This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows could not start - hal.dll corrupt or missing

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Help! On start up, I'm receiving a dos message: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \system32\hal.dll Please re-install a copy of the above file.
Hi solo58, Is this the same computer that we worked on sometime ago in the Malware Forum?
yes. I cleaned the hard drive, reinstalled Windows XP, and all the applications that I was previously using and the machine ran like a dream until this came up last week.
Hi Solo58, I don't think the Dell disk will work as it probably is a OEM disk. What version of XP do you have, Home or Pro and what service pack was installed? We can probably make a bootable CD so we can replace the missing file.
I can reboot in Linux, (Lucid Puppy Version 5.1, release Aug 2010 using an external disk. And I think I have access to the internet through this. I've backed up important data files onto an external hard drive…in case we need to fully reformat the disk…ugh!
Hi solo58, I'm not really that familar with Puppy Linux as far as getting around. Do you use this often or is it just something you happen to have? If you are experienced with using Puppy I can give you directions on what to look for and were. But I'm not up on the commands in Puppy. The disk I had in mind to make was the Windows Recovery Console. We can use it to replace the missing file. I know my way around in this one.
I was given this application the last time I had problems with the computer. It allowed me to transfer files from the hard drive on the laptop to the external hard drive. Let's do it your way with recovery.
Hi solo58,

You will need to make this CD on your working computer. Once it's made tranfer it to the sick computer. If at any time you have problems or you don't see what I post, please stop and post back.

Please read the instuctions and ask any questions if they are not clear.

Burn recovery console cd
  • Download recovery_console_cd.zip file to your drive and extract it to its own folder (c:\recoverycd for example).
  • Download floppy disk setup package xp pro for your operating system (XP pro) and save it to the folder you extracted the zip to.
  • Rename the floppy disk setup package to Bootdisk.exe.
  • Insert a blank cd into your burner.
  • Double-click the RecoveryCD.bat file and follow the prompts to burn a cd that will allow you to boot to the recovery console.

Once the CD is made use it to boot the sick computer.
  • Make sure the computer is set to boot from the CD (you may have that option with the F12 key or will need to set in in the bios)
  • Insert the CD in the computer
  • Reboot the computer

1. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. You should now see a list of installations and the prompt "Which Windows Installation would you like to log on to?"
Select the appropriate number for the Windows installation that you want to repair. If you only have one, press 1.
4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

You should now have a C:\windows> prompt

-From the prompt, type the following command and hit enter:

cd system32

(note there is a space after cd)

You should now see the promt change to C:\windows\system32>

Type following and hit enter

dir

You will now see a list of files. Use the space bar to scroll down the list. See if hal.dll is listed. Continue through the list until you see hal.dll or reach the end of the list.

Do this only if hal.dll is listed. If hal.dll is not in the list skip down to the red *

press the esc (escape) key. This should take you back to the command prompt, C:\windows\system32>

type following and hit enter

ren hal.dll hal.old

(note the space after ren and after .dll)

You should be back at the command prompt.

*

type the following and hit enter

cd "C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386"

(Note there is a space after cd. It needs to be there as do the quote marks.)

The command prompt should now be

C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386>

type the following and hit enter

copy hal.dll C:\windows\system32

(note the space after copy and after .dll)

You should recieve the message 1 file(s) copied and a new command prompt.

type exit and hit enter

Your computer should now try to boot to windows.
I get to the C:\windows…but then I can't get to: CD System32 I get, "The path or file specified is not valid". Dir doesn't show anything.
Hi solo58, When you are at C:\wimdows> typying dir and hitting enter doesn't result in a list of files and folders? Was windows installed on a different drive other than C:\ ?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI