Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

uninstalling and reinstalling an external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

Can you just unplug a usb HDD while the pc is on and power to it is on or should everything be turned off to install and uninstall? I have WD usb HDD and have done both on the fly but don't know if that is the right way to do it. Thank you

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

yes you can just un/plug it with the pc on or off and it will be fine. you shouldn't really unplug it tho if the pc is on before unmounting it because you might lose your data if it's in use. to unmount it you just click on the safely remove hardware icon on the taskbar, and when it says the device is safe to remove then just unplug it. :popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 27 February 2012 - 02:20 PM.

#3 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

you shouldn't really unplug it tho if the pc is on before unmounting it because you might lose your data if it's in use.
to unmount it you just click on the safely remove hardware icon on the taskbar, and when it says the device is safe to remove then just unplug it.

Check your Write-caching policy. The default setting is "Quick removal" so you should not have to go through the hassle of clicking the Safely Remove Hardware icon. Check under Computer > Removable Disk > Properties > Hardware tab > Properties > Policies. Do note you take a performance hit with the quick removal, but you don't have to remember to click the Safely Remove icon every time, and risk data loss.
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#4 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

I have always click the safety removal . I find the write-caching policy interesting. I was told to disconnect the usb 1st then power and reverse to install but was unsure of the source. Thank you