This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Using Flash Drives Properly

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I received a flashdrive (2GB) for Christmas. I've never used one before. My computer appears to recognize immediately when this drive is plugged into the USB port. My question: is it OK to plug the drive in or unplug the drive while my computer is running? Or does that hurt the system in any way? I ask because after taking the drive out today I had a window indicating I should have gone to control panel/remove hardware and do something there before taking the drive out. Any comments would be appreciated as always.
Hi, Yes with Win 2k, you should click the icon "safely remove hardware" and "Stop it" in the notification area before removing the drive, this will then tell you in a second or two that it is OK to remove it, Just pulling it out, without doing this first can cause system instability and or loss of data on your flash drive. The same situation should be followed with Xp but a lot of folks just yank 'em out, but make sure that data is not being written to the flash drive( led's flashing etc) if you follow their example Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI