My dlink di-624 has finally took a turn for the worse. I am looking to upgrade to a new wireless and I really want the N band.
I would like to stay under a 100 bucks and read a few things about the e3200 Linksys found for 106.00 and some are bad and good. E3000 is 89.00 has about the same feedback. Any new on these would be great.
What is dual band? I play PC games for a team so my desktop can't suffer. I only have Ipad, laptop, and Ipod currently in need of wireless signal. I am custom building a desktop for my oldest son so he will be gaming on it as well.
Any input would be great as wife is really complaining about not getting online.
Krome
Wireless-N works on 2 bands (frequency ranges). 2.4Ghz, and 5.8Ghz.
Many wireless routers can work on either, or both at the same time.
Its not very relevant because you'll be very hard pressed to find a device (laptop, phone, iPad, etc.) that is actually capable of running on the 5.8Ghz band, even brand new off the shelf.
But, if you're going to buy something, I suggest you make sure you get a simulatenous dual band wireless router capable of operating on both frequencies at the same time. So, someday when you do get a new device that can use 5.8Ghz you are ready to go while still staying backwards compatible with all of your existing wireless-G, and wireless-N devices.
You already purchased, but Netgear makes some very nice affordable simultaneous dual-band wireless routers.
Hi Krome8800,
I'm not experienced with ASUS RT-N56U, but it sure looks good.
When I upgraded my linksys wrt54g router, I went with the Linksys WRT400N.
Though I've had no problems with it, I would now support the preference for Netgear as stated by Appleoddity.
As to Dual-band, this refers to the frequency of the radio broadcasting over which wireless connection is available between the router and devices such as laptops, etc. Linksys WRT400N (and most other "N" capable wireless routers broadcast at both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, thus it appears as two available connections.
In my case, upgrading to have "N" 5ghz available "did" make a big difference for my family.
Previously with "b + g" only, broadcasting in the 2.4ghz range, my Son and his friends were frequently disconnected any time I used a cordless telephone which also broadcasts in the 2.4ghz range.
Now no problem. My Son connects to the 5ghz connection and hasn't experienced any interference nor dis-connects since that time.
Doug, did your son's device come with 5Ghz Wireless-N capability?
I have found that virtually no laptops purchased off the shelf have 5Ghz wireless-N. I'm assuming it probably causes extra cost because most likely they need a second set of antennas.
Doug, did your son's device come with 5Ghz Wireless-N capability?
I have found that virtually no laptops purchased off the shelf have 5Ghz wireless-N. I'm assuming it probably causes extra cost because most likely they need a second set of antennas.
Yes, it did.
My linksys router broadcasts two SSID (network names) each having their own WPA2 encryption code.
His laptop identifies both names as available networks (as well as several neighboring networks).
He then selects to connect to the 5ghz network.
The one for 5ghz is marked by default with a name "-media" designation.
Sorry I don't have any information about his laptop at the moment.
Can't even remember what brand it is, though I think it is Dell.
Others of his friends with laptops have also logged onto the 5ghz connection.
My older Dell Inspiron 6500 did not have wireless-N capability, therefore I could only connect via G.
I just recently purchased a new ASUS laptop and so far have not found any way to access the N connection.
That's consistent with your comment.
My new ASUS is such a fine laptop that I am utterly shocked that it does not provide for wireless N.
The machine uses: Atheros AR9002WB-1NG which does not allow for wireless N.
The Intell 62 does have dual-broadcast/receive for b/g/n.
I'm wondering if I can swap out my existing Atheros wifi card for an Intell 6200
My Son's lappy must already have the Intel wifi.
I'll have a look next time he is in town.
It looks like your card does support wireless-N. But, like I was saying, there are two bands that wireless N can operate on. Most new devices have wireless-N capability, they just don't have 5.8Ghz capability. So, you are able to connect at 2.4Ghz to the Wireless-G,B,N network you have setup using the wireless-N protocol.
It looks like your card has bluetooth built into it too. If you replace it, you will lose bluetooth. But, you should be able to swap out any wi-fi card into it that has the same type of Pci-Ex connector. The only exception I have found is when the manufacturer (HP for one) programs into the BIOS that it is only going to work with an "HP" wireless adapter. Ofcourse, you'll have to load the drivers.
With that said. As with any radio propogation the antenna is "tuned" to a certain frequency. I'm not sure if you'll get proper signal strength from the existing antennas in your laptop if you try to run them at 5.8Ghz with a different wireless card. I'm not sure how much of a difference there is there.
I ordered it from a very well know site so if it doesnt work it is going back. But wife was yelling at me ( ) so I had to put it on the books. Anything is getter the that Dlink.
I did do some research on the NetGear but the reviews said it drops out alot.
The router doesn't support the new three-stream 450Mbps wireless speed. I would have to go to the v4200
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI