This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

PC cleaned up but with problems

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

:) I cleaned my PC: ran disk clean up, ad-ware, McAfee Total Protection, McAfee shredder, TFC, defragmemtation, error-check, CCleaner. Everything went fine. No viruses or bugs. There have been grown kids on here going God only knows where while I was at work. Checked my Windows Mail with no problem. :huh: I checked the programs I run on a regular basis. Only one (Family Tree maker) showed a problem. "Error: Authentication with server failed" which means it can't search the genealogical websites. Not a big problem. :( But when I went online to check on a shipment coming to Walmart, I could not sign in. The sign in link took me to the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". So I checked some other websites. If I had to click a sign in link it took me to the same page. Some pages like Discovercard.com or my employment webpage just went straight to the cannot display webpage. Other sign in links like this forum worked fine. It seems like if it was a website that had personal info it would not go through. Then I thought maybe I had better check McAfee Total Protection and it would not open from anyplace I tried. I could not reinstall it nor could I uninstall it from Control Panel. Had to go in and manualy remove it from the registry. Then my Windows Mail would not come up. I got an error message saying that MSOE.DLL could not be initialized. Got that fixed by making a copy of the registry folder "Windows Mail" and then deleting the registry folder "Windows Mail" and starting Windows Mail up. Now it runs just fine again. Any suggestions on the sign in links? I have not tried to reinstall McAfee.
Hi susanaj,
Sorry to hear of the problems with your computer.
Before we go any further…. I take it you have an up to date back up of everything important to you kept safe on removable media?
and that you have a good disc image made using something like Acronis, Paragon, Symantec etc, or one of the free disc imaging applications?
details from here:
http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/backupandimage.shtml

Wading through the Registry and Windows files to remove an application like McAfee is a time consuming business and its very easy to miss bits!

Did you use the dedicated McAfee uninstall tool?
available from here:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

If you haven'y already reset your Internet Explorer then this is well worth considering….
Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Reset>OK
See if this helps
regards
paws
Could not use McAfee uninstall tool. Had to go through a Log In link and they acted same as a sign in link. Only had one program that I needed to back up to a flash drive. Everything else I had already taken off my PC. Did not make a disc image. Did the Internet Explorer reset but nothing has changed.
Ok. I understand
The log in to McAfee was only to copy off your product serial key should you ever want to reinstall McAfee again…
I do not normally provide direct links to applications but in this particular situation, I will give the direct link to the uninstall tool:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licens…atches/MCPR.exe
1 Make sure that McAfee is not running (Ctl+ALT+Del to get Task Manager up) and click on the Processes Tab and terminate any McAfee items you see. (accept the warnings and proceed)
2 Then run the uninstall tool MCPR.exe
3 after its finished, you should get an"Uninstall was successful" type message
4 Reboot your computer and then run the following commands
Start>Run>
type in the white box
chkdsk /r
OK
(note the space it needs to be there)
at the black Dos type window
press the Y on your keyboard and press Enter
5 restart your computer
6 leave chkdsk to run until it has completed all 5 passes (it may take an hour or two so be sure not interrupt it once its started…. let it run
7 It will fix any file problems it is able to and then will reboot your computer when its finished.
8 Next we will try and fix any corrupted or missing or damaged Windows Protected System Files
9 Start>Run
type in the white box
sfc /scannow
OK
(note the space again it needs to be there)
This scan should only take half an hour or so,

if sfc finds problems it will try and replace the damaged or missing files from other parts of your computer to put in the dll cache, but if there are no clean copies available then it will ask you to insert your Windows XP installation disc so the correct files can be copied across. So have your disc handy and make sure its the correct version for your computer XP Home or Pro etc and with the correct Service Pack level… if you have SP3 on your computer then your disc should have SP3 as well (although sometimes its possible to get away with an installation disc with SP2 only on it…. For the purpose of running sfc its Ok to borrow the correct disc from a chum if you are otherwise unable to lay your hands on it.
Now try and use a different browser, does Chrome work OK?
Let us know how things go
Regards
paws
Can not download the file: Windows has found a problem with this file MCPR.exe file was blocked because it does not have a valid digital signature
Hi susanaj,
There's nothing wrong with that link or the file….. I suspect that despite you running the McAfee scan on your computer (as set out in your first post) that you might have some malicious elements or undesirable code on your machine….
It might be wise to go here:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=106388
read carefully and post the required logs over there in the Virus and Spyware removal forum (not here in this subforum please)

A trained malware fighter will assist you to check and if necessary clean your machine of any undesirable elements found.
Once you machine has been declared free of infection then post back ghere in this forum if you still have issues with it and we will do our best to help.
Regards
paws
I have sent the scans to the virus forum but I have a question for you. I was just checking to see what programs show up in my default program list and its blank. I know Windows Mail and atleast Internet Explorer should be in there. Right?
Hi susanaj I have to put your topic here on "hold" until the malware team have finished looking at your logs etc. and declared your computer clear of infections.. ( they have a really tough job to do) and I want to leave them totally free to act without having to worry about what may be going on here in this topic. I will get back you, but in the meantime I do hope you understand. Regards paws
susanaj

I support and agree with Paws' recommendation for you to post your Topic in our Malware Removal Forum for specialist attention.

Some forms of Malware actually "hide" normal Windows and other utilities that you would expect to see in your Start Menu.
The malware does this so that you (the owner) cannot use these utilities in any attempt to remove the malware.

Head over to get some attention from our excellent Malware Team.
If successful in the process of discovering and removing any malware, your specialist helper will also give you instructions about how to "unhide" your normal utilities and applications after the malware has been removed.

If your machine requires additional work after malware removal, your Malware specialist helper will either provide additional assistance or direct you back here to this thread or these tech forums, where Paws and others can contribute additional assistance.

Best Wishes,

Doug
This has been resolved. When I deleted some audio files off my desktop that the registery cleaner found, it caused the problems with my sign in links on the web. I had to go into the actual registry and delete them that way. Everything is working great again. Thank you.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI