This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

New build memory questions

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I’m having to build a new system and I’m starting with a I7 processor / motherboard combo. The processor is the I7 2600K 3.4Ghz and the board is the P8Z68-V LX Intel says the memory supported by the I7 is… Max Memory size (dependent on memory type) 32gb Memory Types DDR3 1066/1333 The specs for memory on the board are… 4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory Dual Channel Memory Architecture Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) * Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs. * Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists). * Due to CPU behavior, DDR3 2200/2000/1800 MHz memory module will run at DDR3 2133/1866/1600 MHz frequency as default. I’m not real clear on the different memory designations. What is going to be my best choice for memory. I’m looking on Newegg at Corsair Vengeance. Newegg list this memory … CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R Cas Latency: 9 Voltage: 1.5V Multi-channel Kit: Dual Channel Kit Timing: 9-9-9-24 Model #: CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R Item #: N82E16820233180 Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy This is two 4 Gb sticks for 8Gb of memory and I’m planning to put in 4 sticks for 16Gb. If I go with this memory am I going to have to do any tweeking in he BIOS in order for it to run? In fact will it run OK?
Motherboard memory specs:

Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.
* Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
* Due to CPU behavior, DDR3 2200/2000/1800 MHz memory module will run at DDR3 2133/1866/1600 MHz frequency as default.

I used to be a big Corsair fan, but I wouldn't touch them now at any price.

A good memory choice:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL

No bios tweaking required for 8GB or 16GB of RAM.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI