This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Memory not working correctly

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there, I recently built this computer (first time) and the memory is not showing at the correct speed according to CPU-Z.

Here's what you might need to know :
AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma BE
MSI KA780G motherboard
Power Supply
Memory
Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2

I'm extremely new at working with BIOS but I tried adjusting the DRAM Frequency to 533 MHz but nothing changed.

Anyways, I would post a screenshot of the SPD tab in CPU-Z but I don't know how to take one :smack:

Here's what it looks like:

Memory Slot Selection
Slot #1 DDR2
Module Size 2048 MBytes
Max. Bandwidth PC2-6400 (400MHz)
Manufacturer Kingston
Part Number 2G-UDIMM
Serial Number A8CC8178

Timings Table
Frequency - 200MHz - 266MHz - 400MHz
CAS#Latency- 3.0 4.0 5.0
RAS# to CAS# 3 4 5
RAS# Precharge 3 4 5
tRAS 9 12 18
tRC 12 16 23
Command Rate
Voltage 1.8V 1.8V 1.8V

Slot #2 is identical other than the serial number.


Now, why is it showing up as PC2 6400 when it should be PC2 8500?


Heres the memory Tab:
Type: DDR2
Size: 4096 MBytes
Channels #: Dual
DC Mode: Unganged
NB Frequency: 1800.1 MHz

Timings:
DRam Frequency: 400.0 MHz
FSB:DRAM, 1:2
CAS# Latency (CL): 5.0
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD): 5
RAS# Precharge (tRP): 5
Cycle Time (tRAS): 18
Bank Cycle Time (tRC): 24
Command Rate (CR): 2T
Having the manual now a few questions: Your RAM is in the first two slots correct? What is your FSB? You may need to adjust the ratio of FSB/DRAM. First off I would verify that you have the latest BIOS.
RAM is in the first 2 slots closest to CPU yes. I'm not sure what my FSB is, I check that in BIOS right? *Nevermind I checked BIOS and FSB frequency is at 200 MHz I did adjust the ratio to make the frequency 533 MHz but nothing happened according to CPU-Z How do I check what BIOS version I have?
page 3-18 of the manual covers these settings.

BIOS version should be displayed on the POST screen as you start the computer.

You can try the MSI "Auto Update" which should detect. Bottom of this page:

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=download…mp;prod_no=1617

There is also a CPU jumper "overclock" described on page 2-20. It provides for a 10/15/20% increase in the CPU FSB.

I would go with your other options first and also you might want to read Digerati's post here re: overclocking in general:

http://forums.whatthetech.com/Thinking_abo…rst_t96870.html
Ok I found the BIOS version in BIOS :P It's version 16.1 so it's slightly outdated. I'll update that for now. Thanks jephree edit: the problem isn't overclocking, I just want my ram to work as advertised =)
Sorry, I just saw your edit. There is no notice given for edited posts. Anyway let us know how the BIOS update went. Many boards do require overclocking for the fastest RAM but they also usually point this out in their specs such as 800/1066* *overclocked.
Fixed it! I had to manually set the timings and voltages to the recommended timings and adjusted the ratio to 1:2.66*(I think that was the ratio) My first overclock?? feels good =p * = edit

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI