This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Unable to connect to internet on only 1 computer

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have 3 desktops and 2 laptops on my network. Two of the desktops are wired, and the last desktop and both laptops are wireless. I am unable to connect to the wireless desktop named "GUESTROOM". When I pull up the router in a browser, it recognizes the computer is there and when I pull up MacAfee on another computer it recognizes that GUESTROOM is part of it's network, but is offline. This started out of the blue yesterday. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the driver for the network adapter and it is not working. Router: Dlink Dir-655 Model: SURFboard SB6121 Connecting via Cox Cable Network Adapter: DLink DWA-131 System: Win XP Home Service Pack 3 I ran the ping and received the following: Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : GUESTROOM Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : NoEthernet adapter Local Area Connection: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-5B-36-17-A6 Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 10: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link DWA-131 Wireless N Nano USB Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1C-AF-F7-F6-25-50 Ping request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again.
What attempts have you made to re-connect to your wireless network, and what were the results of that? It says its disconnected. Have you tried clearing out your wireless networks and re-entering the passphrase to connect?
I started by clearing out the networks and entering the password again Then I went into the router settings and made sure it could see the computer (it could) Then I went into MacAfee Security and made sure it was still trusted on the Home Network (it was, trusted, disconnected) Then I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver I've run CCleaner and rebooted several times, last time I turned the system off instead of rebooting. The computer does find the router, says the signal is strong, password is accepted, but there is no connection A few nights ago I had connection problems on my laptop, but it's running Win 7 and the diagnostic tool was able to correct the problem, whatever it was and connect me again. i have not had any problems with the other laptop. I'm stumped.
Well, nevermind. Went back into the room and the CPU was off, couldn't get it turned back on so I rest the power source and when I turned it back on it blew. Computer is totally dead until I get a new power source.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI