This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Intermitten wireless connection

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi everyone. I'm running a wireless router at home with 2 desktops and 2 laptops, one of which is an Apple. The Apple has no connectivity problem, but the 3 PC's (XP Pro and Home)have intermitten conection issue. The connection will sometime dropped and having difficulty reconnecting, eventhough I can see the network and have good signal. All PC's have McAfee and the router is on WPA2. The PC laptop has the same problem with other secured networks as well, but works great on unsecured ones. I went thru MS site and read up on the 802.11 problem with XP SP2. I uninstalled the 802.11, but the problem persists. Please guide me on what I need to do. Thanks.
[external image: Posted Image] vincerh,

We are glad to see you have found this forum. There are many talented volunteers who will come by to assist you with your connectivity issue so please be patient.

In the meantime have a good read and browse around while you wait, and most particularly enjoy all the great sub-forums offering information.

best regards,

[external image: Posted Image] vincerh,

We are glad to see you have found this forum. There are many talented volunteers who will come by to assist you with your connectivity issue so please be patient.

In the meantime have a good read and browse around while you wait, and most particularly enjoy all the great sub-forums offering information.

best regards,



Thanks tallin.
I found a response for the problem. It says to paste the following in RUN: netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt I did that and the connections seem to be fixed with good speed and signal strength.
Hello vincerh, Thank you very much for the update. Good of you to take the time to reply, but could you tell us where you found that fix ….thanks Best regards, :wavey:
Just a thought, I have wireless at home as well and I use it with a laptop. I have two fixed pc's and I have them hard wired, with them on fixed IP addresses, and my network printer on a fixed IP address. I find that better because wired is faster and doesnt need the same wireless encription. Once you have a working wireless connection, you should turn off your wireless name broadcast in your router. Also on your router, make sure you change your router log on id and password. Once someone can have access to your router they can cause a lot of trouble. Its amazing when you do a wireless sweep you see other nearby stations comming up with no security and using default ids and pws.

Just a thought, I have wireless at home as well and I use it with a laptop. I have two fixed pc's and I have them hard wired, with them on fixed IP addresses, and my network printer on a fixed IP address. I find that better because wired is faster and doesnt need the same wireless encription. Once you have a working wireless connection, you should turn off your wireless name broadcast in your router. Also on your router, make sure you change your router log on id and password. Once someone can have access to your router they can cause a lot of trouble. Its amazing when you do a wireless sweep you see other nearby stations comming up with no security and using default ids and pws.


I would prefer them wired as well, but my house isn't pre-wired and the PC's are in different rooms. My router is password protected.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI