This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Missing USB Drivers

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I am using Windows Vista on a 32 Bit operating system (Dell Inspiron 530). I inserted an SD card to drop some photos onto my computer this evening, which normally results in me getting a window asking if I want to open and view the files, etc.; however, instead I got a message saying the USB driver was being installed (I have never seen this message before, and I had the same SD card inserted earlier today to drop some other photos onto the comp with no issues). After the message disappeared I got a pop up box saying the USB device was not recognized. I took the SD card out and reinserted it. I got the same pop up saying it was not recognized. I went to "My Computer" and went to open the card manually from there. All of my drivers at that time were visible to me; however I could not open the USB driver for the SD card. It just kept saying it was not recognized, and then the page (My Computer) refreshed itself and most of my drivers vanished. (I now only have the C, D, E and J drives visible) I tried the card in my camera again, and it appears fine in there. I then inserted a different SD card into the computer, but now am getting no rocognition that anything was even inserted (no pop ups saying it's not recognized, no pop ups with the option to view the files, and the driver for my SD card, along with several others are still missing). How can I recover the missing drivers? Thanks in advance for the help. Erin.
Hi emorales,

This problem can occur if USB devices are removed without using the "Safely Remove Device" function.

Have a look here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900

If you are still stuck after using those steps, please post back with a summary of your situation.
We'll try to identify additional steps that may be useful for you.

Best Regards
Hi emorales,

For Windows Vista, try this:

1 ) ClickStart, and then click Control Panel.

2 ) ClickSystem and Maintenance, click System, and then clickDevice Manager.

Note: If Control Panel is in Classic View, double-click System, and then click Device Manager.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.


3 ) In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
Check if at all there is an exclamation mark along the driver, it suggests issues with the driver installed.

4.) Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

5 ) Restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Cheers,
Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI