Software
sfc
4 min read
Peter1
Topic Starter
reports corrupted files
C:\Windows\logs\CBS\CBS\.log
error check and stytem restore and this seem to be tied in as i fix one and the other is affected.
Ideas to fix?
Doug
Windows 7 – Correct?
You have all your important documents backed up. Correct?
Consider a StartUp Repair
Here's a good tutorial: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html
You have all your important documents backed up. Correct?
Consider a StartUp Repair
Here's a good tutorial: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html
Digerati
I don't know of any log file that cannot be safely deleted. If your computer is running fine otherwise, I would delete the log then run SFC again. SFC should then create a new CBS log. If that fails again, then I agree a Startup Repair is probably your best bet. Note you may need to use a program like MoveOnBoot to delete the program if you cannot do it from within Windows or a command prompt. MoveOnBoot will tag the file(s) for deletion early during the next boot cycle, before Windows can get any hooks in it.
Peter1
I tried some programs like photo etc and there are issues like incomplete program.
SFC reportes corrupted files.
I took your advice and ran the startup repair which said it was successful. While in there I ran chkdsk which I can't with Windows even with a command prompt and it was successful.
I am running sfc again and will report back..
I have a reinstallation disc and I made two dvd's when I got the machine.
I tried the two dvds yesterday but system restore could not be configured.
Once I repaired that, chk disk would not work. Then sfc reported corrupted files.
I wonder, if sfc now reports corrupted files if I should do an os format and reinstall or use the 2 dvds again.
I would lose all preloaded programs with the os disc and have to replace many but fewer with the 2 dvds.
Whoops, sfc reports again that there are corrupted files and the same information about the cbs files which I don't understand.
It did not close automatically!
Could you please elaborate about the next step.
Thank you
Doug
I took your advice and ran the startup repair which said it was successful. While in there I ran chkdsk which I can't with Windows even with a command prompt and it was successful.
I am running sfc again and will report back.
Report back whether or not sfc completes successfully and closes automatically.
_______________________
Use the machine for your ordinary routine purposes at least enough to determine if your system and software are functioning as expected.
Don't initiate any further "repair" activities until after you report per above, so that we can all have a better idea of what you may be dealing with.
Peter1
I found CBS and there were 5 CBS persists.
Should I remove the folder? -or is there another place to remove the "log file"?
Peter1
Windows 7 – Correct?
You have all your important documents backed up. Correct?
Consider a StartUp Repair
Here's a good tutorial: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html
Yes, Win 7 home x64, data is on 2 flash drives. My Acronis went back a month but the corrupted files were there then so it can't help. I have not done a chkdsk lately aparently. Neither sfc or system restore or problems would have shown up.
Sensitive info not a problem but preloaded programs might be if i did a format reinstall from the os disc. i coud use the 2 dvds I made when I got the pc but then I still have 3rd party programs to do. When I used the 2 dvds to recover before i still had problems with corruption.
Doug
What is your evaluation of how the system is running? Any problems? (other than the detected CBS.log corruptions)
Any crashes or hang-ups when using your machine?
Anything not present or not running the way you would ordinarily expect?
Peter1
Hi Doug
After a lot of maneuvering I think I am stable.
System restore, sfc and error check were not working and started this mess.
I have been downloading windows a few at a time. %temp% was full. I hope the three I have mentioned still work after windows downloads. They worked before the downloads before and hope they still do.
Grandchildren first though.
Thanx and will report back. I have crossed threads as Z and I have been corrresponding.
Not sure how to fix it.
Doug
"Grandchildren come first." <– That seems to be prioritized correctly…. or at least the way they will demand.
So go enjoy.
We'll be around when you are ready.
And yes, you may be somewhat "crossed" in your postings by having correspondence occurring simultaneously on related topics with separate helpers.
No worries, you can get us all back on the same track with a little effort.
Maybe close-off this or another thread, and consolidate the goals and procedures into one.
Best Regards
footnote: When you refer to "downloading windows", I presume you mean "windows updates" ?
Peter1
Yes, Windows updates. When I activated, another set of updates appeared addressing Office.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI