Well, HP apparently feels this is just do to some temp files that have been left behind - see here. Let's see if they are right, but not using the Cleanup util.
Click here and download Old Timer's TFC.exe to your desktop. Be sure all programs are closed, then click TFC.exe to open the display (right click/Run as administrator). Click the Start button, and allow TFC to clean out all temp storage. If it suggests a reboot allow that. If not, just click Exit to close TFC. Though still go ahead and reboot.
Then try to install again that newer, patched version of the HP software please.
I deleted HP support assistant, in the hopes that that may help installation of other things.
But it hasn't helped.
"sp46210" works, however the program itself (sp53904) gives me the 9996 error.
The info on this seems to keep coming - see here. .NET Framework. It'll be a nice sunny day when programs no longer use that, though that day may never come.
I checked the logs, and you do have a .NET 2 service start disabled. Before we attempt some time-consuming .NET installs or checks, see if just making that available resolves things.
Go to Start Search, type cmd.exe in the Start Search box. Cmd.exe will appear at the top of the Menu. Rightclick on it and choose "Run as administrator". At the prompt copy/paste the following, pressing Enter after each:
You should get confirmation the change was made. Type exit and press Enter to close the command window, reboot, and check for change. We may need to change it to "automatic" startup, but try this for now.
In your installs list, I don't see where .NET 2 shows as installed. I sense this issue may do best in the WTT Windows forum, but before we wrap our work up here and you opt to follow up on that, try installing .NET 2.
For this issue of slow startup, I not Skype appears to be loading. That will cause startup slowness. If you right click the Skype taskbar icon, you should be able to access a Settings/Options selection that then allows you to keep it from loading at startup.
Download the 64 bit .NET2 installer from here, install that, reboot and check for that HP error please.
Alright, so I attempted to install .NET 2,
And I get the error,
"You must use "Turn Windows features on or off" in the Control Panel to install or configure Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP1"
I go to "Turn Windows features on or off", and see Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1, but no Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP1…
I like to think I know a fair bit about repairs, but these .NET program issues can take a good bit of trial and error to nail down the problem. I would like to suggest we do some wrapping up of our work here, then you post on this issue in the Windows forum, if you agree.
Yes, the info in this thread may prove helpful to folks providing some solutions to this HP issue.
For our clean-up, Eset, if you don't plan to use it again, uninstalls through the Control Panel - Programs and Features.
You can also at this time delete the files/folders of the tools we used. To assist with some of that run OTL again. This will help by automatically removing some of the tools we used.
Just click CleanUp, and select Yes. When it finishes removing some of the tools and files we used there just agree to the reboot.
I would customarily suggest resetting System Restore at this point, to remove any stored malware settings, but better to leave past points until you resolve this current issue.
In addition, I like to recommend reviewing the information at these locations, to make sure your system stays secure (links borrowed from Gringo):