This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

"Reboot and select proper boot device"

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello. My computer picked up a new personality quirk last night, and maybe you guys can help shed some light on how to overcome it. I'm not sure if this is hardware or software, so I'll put it here - feel free to move it if it ain't. Background information. System 7, no issues lately, no programs installed over the past few weeks. The last project I performed was recording an LP into the hard drive and saving the tracks as mp3s, something I've done without incident many times. I think I was looking at Facebook when suddenly all the windows began closing. Some gave prompts as to whether I wanted to save my work. I assumed Windows had another critical update, so I saved everything, and watched the computer shut down. I then left to do other things. This morning, I was greeted with the "reboot and select proper boot device" black screen, and can't seem to get beyond it. I hear something powering up when I turn it on (as I always do). I can get into set-up. I ran the F12 diagnosis, but it said everything was fine. The boot priority in F2 is listed as: 1. Hard Disk: WDC WD1… 2. CD/DVD: HL-DT-ST D… 3. USB Floppy 4. Network 5. USB Hard Disk 6. USB CD/DVD (Not sure you need that, but I figure wouldn't hurt to say.) We did have a modest thunderstorm in the area last night, but I have a surge protector, and any usual signs of a power surge are absent. (Clocks reset in the house, etc.) I should point out that I did a backup of all my files to a "Book" on July 1st, so if a complete reset is needed, I'm OK with that. I'd rather not, since there are some files I've added/changed since, but it shouldn't be too big of a pain to replace those. Looking forward to hearing your suggestions - thanks! R

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI