This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Computer restarts when I turn in on

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have Windows 7 on my computer. For the past week or so, every time I turn it on, it'll go through to the "Starting Windows" screen then it'll restart and a screen pops up saying to start System Repair. I click OK and it'll run through the repairs, then a window comes up asking if I want to restore to an earlier point. I click OK and it'll continue. I click Finish when it's done and it'll restart fine and will stay running with no problems. I've checked the wiring in the computer, ran antivirus scans and everything looks fine. I replaced the RAM about 6 months ago, brought one of the old ones with me to make sure I got the right kind. I'm at a complete loss. Halp! ^^; My motherboard is an ASUS P5B, 775 socket. Not quite sure what other information is needed but I'll try and answer your questions the best I can. :)
Hi rainweaver2002, welcome to WTT :thumbup: See if this happens when you boot to safe mode with networking. If it doesn't happen you might have a corrupt or an old driver(s) that need updating. If you need instruction on how to boot to safe mode, let me know. Cheers, Lee
Sorry for the delayed response. The computer starts up fine in Safe Mode with Networking. When I turned my pc on yesterday, it restarted 4 times before I could actually log in. I went to my Device Manager and updated the drivers for my video card and all my USB ports. Is it safe to update the driver for my mobo? I have a fan plugged in and aimed at my pc, hoping that'll solve the problem. My mobo looks okay; the capacitors all look normal. I've blown it out. I double-checked the plugs and they're all okay. I really don't wanna reformat my HDD, if that'd even help. All my HDDs are less than a year old. I defrag at least once a week; I'm a gamer so I'm on the net a lot. ^^;;
Good going. Are you still experiencing the same issue after driver updates?

Is it safe to update the driver for my mobo?


Motherboard drivers are (usually) Chipset, Lan and USB host controller driver.
Yes it is safe. I don't know your motherboard but nowadays most motherboard manufacturer's driver support sites have an "auto detect" feature to upgrade drivers.

Sudden resets and shutdowns:
Please download and run WhoCrashed.

Please paste the results here.

Cheers,
Lee
There were 3 crashes but they were all the same so I just pasted the most recent one. I've put a table fan on the floor and I turn it on when I turn my computer on. I haven't really had any problems since then, just having issues with installing the driver for my printer. I tell ya, if it's not one thing, it's something else, lol. On Thu 8/25/2011 8:45:36 AM GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082511-17019-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x32492B) Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF85AEE024, 0x0, 0x0) Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA). This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.
Now would be a good time to back-up personal data to removable disk(s) or a USB drive


It does sounds like you have a serious issue.
ntoskrnl.exe is a critical process in the boot-up cycle of your computer. It contains the Cache Manager, the Executive, the Kernel, the Security Reference Monitor, the Memory Manager, and the Scheduler, among other things.

Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred.

You say you have not had crashing problems since using a fan on the open case. Have you recently installed a CPU or had cause to remove and replace your CPU? There could very well be a thermal paste problem causing your CPU to over-heat and the motherboard to shut down. Make sure all your vents are clear of dust as well as your CPU cooler fins. A can of compressed air will do the trick.

Download and install any updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update.

Do you have a W7 installation disk? If you have, run it and go to Recovery Console, enter chkdsk /r command and run it. This is in relation to ntoskrnl.exe error.

Cheers,
Lee
I haven't done anything to my CPU, no installing or anything. I sprayed out the tower the other day but will do it again. I do have a Windows 7 disk, just have to remember where I put it, lol. I'll let you know how it all goes. Thank you for all the help. :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI