This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Freezes occasionally when watching video

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a Sony Vaio SR420 laptop running Windows7 64bit. The past few months I've had an issue with the computer randomly freezing. This only happens when watching videos, and only sometimes. I've tried switching software (from VLC to KLM) but it still happens. The computer freezes completely and there's no way to turn it off except holding down the power button. What could be the issue?
Sony Vaio SR420

Hi kairi2,

There could be lots of causes for this problem.
Videos are very RAM intensive and depending on what else is using RAM it could be overloading and causing the occasional freeze. It could also be faulty RAM itself, RAM timings, your video driver needs upgrading or your laptop is just overheating, to mention just a few but major likely causes.

Firstly visit Sony Support and upgrade any drivers that need upgrading, especially your video driver.

Make sure your Laptop air-intake vents are clear of dust etc, You can use canned air for this and make sure you are using the laptop on a flat surface with nothing impeding intake air flow.

Download free Speedfan and check temps. during or straight after running a video. What are the main temps?

See how you go with those few tasks and if there is no joy we can move on and check out other possibilities.

Cheers,
Lee
Ok, I did all three steps. In Speedfan, the "System" temp was 40C before video. Then I watched the same video that froze up on me last time, and afterward it was 43C. Hasn't froze again yet but I'll post back when it does. A computer repair person I work with said it could be "thermal paste" issue?
No, it's not a thermal paste issue as your temps are fine.

Run Disk Cleanup:
Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup
This will open the Disk Cleanup Options window
Choose:
My files only
or
Files from all users on this computer
Click Continue
Select the drive you want to clean up
Click OK
Check the following entries:
Temporary Internet Files
Recycle Bin
Temporary Files
Click OK
When asked if you're sure you want to delete these files, click Yes.
Get into the habit of doing this about once a month, or more frequently if you use your computer a lot.

Check your Hard Drive's free space:
Start > right-click Computer > manage > Disk Management
You should have at least 20% free space for your PC to run and Defrag. efficiently as file clusters need to be moved around.

Now Defrag, your Hard Drive.

There is also a possibility that you are running some buggy software so lets check that out and the health of your of your PC in general by running an Overdrive test:
PC Pitstop 'OVERDRIVE' for XP, Vista and W7
For XP only, start at step 4

OverDrive is Fast, Comprehensive, and Free.
In just a few minutes, OverDrive creates an extensive report of your PC's performance, security, software, drivers, and more. In order to receive the full benefit and display the full Results of OverDrive, use Internet Explorer.

Note: Vista/Windows 7 users with UAC must first Right-click IE - Select "Run as Administrator"

1) Close all instances of Internet Explorer and any other open programs.
2) Click on Vista or W7 Start
3) Right-Click on Internet Explorer and choose "Run as Administrator"
This will give your machine full privilege to take advantage of all the features of PCPitstop's OverDrive full test.

4) Navigate to PC Pitstop's Overdrive using Internet Explorer (only) and click on "Create free account".
5) Register and accept the necessary active-X needed to run "Overdrive".
6) Run PC Pitstop Overdrive.
7) Post the URL link from the address bar that is showing when the test is finished. That will allow us to view your PCs results.

Caution: During the testing of your PCs Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, please look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

Note: PCPitstop is a free service, but like many free services and programs, it is supported by various paid products and we do not necessarily support their use.


Cheers,
Lee
Ok, I have the defrag and clean disk stuff down already, but there's a problem with Overdrive. It only uses Internet Explorer 32 bit, and mine is 64 bit. Won't let me download the 32 bit version either! :(
I figured it out! The problem is you can't download only 32 bit IE if you have a 64 bit system. You have to download the whole x64 package, which comes with x32 (I'm sure the next person will run into the same issue). Here are the Overdrive test results. Will do the RAM test tomorrow when I can get ahold of a blank CD..
Your PC is showing a fairly clean bill of health.

I notice that apart from WMP you also have Quicktime and The KMPlayer .
Is the freezing problem happening on all three players?

I also notice you have installed CCleaner and Registry Mechanic. Of the two, I would keep CCleaner as it is handy for removing temp. files. However, use it's registry cleaner very sparingly (really a useless exercise, that apart from what you might read on the net, achieves absolutely nothing to improve PC performance, but does so at the risk of corrupting your registry).
I would uninstall Registry Mechanic, as at times (like almost all registry cleaners) it will remove a registry entry that is not complete, but is functional and needed for an existing program on your system. As far as I know, CCleaner will not do this.

If the freezing problem is only happening on streaming video and your RAM proves to be in excellent condition, I suspect you are just having the occasional download streaming hiccup.

Cheers,
Lee
Good to hear everything looks good.. I run a tight ship here, lol. Good advice, in regards to Registry Mechanic. I don't use WMP or QT.. as far as videos I have used: Windows Media Classic, VLC Player, and now KM. The video isn't streaming, it's downloaded (HDTV rips, DVDrips, etc). We'll see what the RAM test does! I have 4GB.. I guess that doesn't mean much nowadays.. but when I had this laptop built it was good stuff!
4GB of RAM is plenty.
By your Overdrive test results, you are obviously into good PC housekeeping.

A few item that could be removed that are loaded by Sony and are unnecessary junkware and bloatware are:

VAIO Data Restore Tool
VAIO Control Center
VAIO Original Function Settings
VAIO Update 4


The video isn't streaming, it's downloaded (HDTV rips, DVDrips, etc)


If freezing problems are occurring with illegal downloads, any further assistance here comes to a halt I'm afraid, as WTT policy does not condone or help with such activity. If you read the terms and conditions of becoming a member here, policy concerning illegal activity is very clear.

Cheers,
Lee
Sorry, but in common Ozzie (Australian) lingua franca, rip or rips means steal as in rip-off (swindled).

Would I be correct if to rip means to burn (to a disk) ?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI