This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Multiple pop ups and lost start up screen

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My computer has been infected by a virus/malware that has removed my start up screen and gives me several periodic pop ups. I tried a system restore but received an error stating that program (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Acessories\SystemTools\CharacterMap.Ink) could not be removed or no longer exists. After googling this I found a post on here that seemed similar to my problem. I found a program listed called unhide in that post and that at least got my icons to reappear on my start up menu. I haven't turned my pc off since then..so who knows my icons may be gone again. Can someone help me please?
I don't know if this will help but I copied this from OTL in hopes it would help speed things up. netsvcs drivers32 %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.* %systemroot%\Fonts\*.com %systemroot%\Fonts\*.dll %systemroot%\Fonts\*.ini %systemroot%\Fonts\*.ini2 %systemroot%\Fonts\*.exe %systemroot%\system32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86\*.* %systemroot%\REPAIR\*.bak1 %systemroot%\REPAIR\*.ini %systemroot%\system32\*.jpg %systemroot%\*.jpg %systemroot%\*.png %systemroot%\*.scr %systemroot%\*._sy %APPDATA%\Adobe\Update\*.* %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Favorites\*.* %APPDATA%\Microsoft\*.* %PROGRAMFILES%\*.* %APPDATA%\Update\*.* %systemroot%\*. /mp /s CREATERESTOREPOINT %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav %PROGRAMFILES%\bak. /s %systemroot%\system32\bak. /s %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\*.lnk /x %systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\*.dat /x %systemroot%\*.config %systemroot%\system32\*.db %PROGRAMFILES%\Internet Explorer\*.dat %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\*.lnk /x %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\*.exe %PROGRAMFILES%\Common Files\*.* %systemroot%\*.src %systemroot%\install\*.* %systemroot%\system32\DLL\*.* %systemroot%\system32\HelpFiles\*.* %systemroot%\system32\rundll\*.* %systemroot%\winn32\*.* %systemroot%\Java\*.* %systemroot%\system32\test\*.* %systemroot%\system32\Rundll32\*.* %systemroot%\AppPatch\Custom\*.* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\Results\Install|LastSuccessTime /rs
Go to the Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal forum, read the info there and follow the posted directions. Once you receive a clean bill of health, come back here if you have any additional questions or concerns or it turns out not to be a malware problem.

Please be patient as that is a very busy area. If you do not receive a response in 3 days, post a message here: What To Do If You Have No Response In 3 Days?

Do not reply to your post there as the malware folks look for posts with no replies first.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI