This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Missing Icons after an Infection

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've got a Dell Vostro 400 that runs Windows XP Home that's a couple of years old. I recently had a rather nasty infection on my computer where a majority of my icons on my desktop as well as some of my folders on my start menu show up as "empty". The infection has been successfully removed but my icons and folders haven't returned to normal. I suspect that it has something to do with a virus that I had with all the other nasties, Windows XP Recovery. I've tried unhiding the files vis "Folder Options" as well as running Unhide.exe yet they have as of yet to appear.
Caroll, Did you receive assistance from a Forum helper when removing the recent infection. If so, please post a link to that work.
Hi Caroll,

Malware can do a lot of damage, but unfortunately so can removing it.

Firstly, make sure you have 'display hidden folders' activated. See here for how to do that and then get back to us with the results.

Cheers,
Lee

PS Edit: Sorry Doug, you type faster than me and I missed your post.
Caroll, There may be some special conditions to consider when using Unhide.exe and related procedures. I have asked an expert from Malware Team to have a look here. Please be patient. Doug
Hello Caroll and :welcome:

Did you receive assistance from a Forum helper when removing the recent infection.
If so, please post a link to that work.

Dougs question is very important. If you did recieve online support, and have the link to your thread it would be very helpful.

Please let us know and we'll continue from there :)

Best wishes
JonTom
Hi Caroll - forgot to ask the following question - have you ran any temp file cleaners on your machine in the last few days (or perhaps deleted your temporary files manually)?

Please let us know, but do not touch any temporary files from this point onwards.
BackEnv Quarantine; Registry_backups; BHO-{24A123C3-A500-99BD-A120-04B53A2C8952}.reg ,Legacy_SRV218.reg ,Legacy_XDVA375.reg ,Legact_XDVA385.reg ,SafeBoot-90596686.sys.reg ,Service_srv218.reg ,Service_XDva375.reg, Service_XDva385.reg ,tcpip C; enemies-names.txt.vir ,local.ini.vir ,lsrslt.ini.vir, mmc673218.txt.vir ,thr1.chm.vir ,chrome.manifest.vir ,install.rdf.vir, icon.ico.vir, SearchToolbarUninstall.exe.vir, SearchToolbarUpdater.exe.vir, nb8Yt0vy.dll.vir Catchme Catchme Add-Remove Programs CFScript_used_2011-05-31_20.02.48 ComboFix2 ComboFix-quarantine-files SnapShot@2011-06-01_01.09.56
I know a couple tricks to restore them if they still exist. Yours don't seem to so you're looking at rebuilding them. Stay tuned for, hopefully, some guidance from the Tech Team for that.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI