This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

folder removal

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I had a camera with software and used Revo(slow) to remove it. I noticed there was a folder in my library under videos called FlipShare which is the name of the software. I am attaching a pik of the folder and wish to know if it is safe to remove it- I would like to if no harm done. I called Flip and they said yes to removal but I'd like a verification.
Sadly, it is common for programs to leave folders and files on our drives after we uninstall the software. This is generally due to lazy programming. :(

Since that is not a Windows folder I am sure it is safe to remove it. But if still uncertain, what I do is rename the folder and see what happens. So the current parent folder name is FlipShare Data. I would rename it to:

FlipShare Data-Delete-11-19-11

Then forget about it for awhile. If something breaks, you simply rename it back. If in a week or two, or next time you stumble on it, you realize nothing broke, then you know it is safe to delete.

I use "Delete" plus the date as a note to myself what I am doing, and how long it has been that way. Plus, by not renaming the original part, I know what to rename it back to should something break.
That is a great tip. I "sent to" the folder to a flash drive and then deleted it. I have the flash drive aside and will see how it goes in a couple of weeks. I like your idea better because it dates it, and keeps the original name without external media. Thank you
It also keeps the renamed folder in the right place. If moved off the drive, you have to remember which folder to put it under. For example, your image shows the folder is under Libraries > Videos. But the "real" location is C:\users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Videos.

It also keeps the renamed folder in the right place. If moved off the drive, you have to remember which folder to put it under.

For example, your image shows the folder is under Libraries > Videos. But the "real" location is C:\users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Videos.




I have already put it back from where I removed it and renamed it like you did. I went o the video section in the library -this is where I found it.
If this will not work should I now move it to the path you have shown?
How do I know the real path in the future??

Typically, you can right click on it and select properties and it will show the full path.




Maybe because I have already messed with the one in videos, right clicking did not show the full path.
However, I will do so in the future.

I was lucky and looked under C:>users>us>FlipShare

I then did what you did by adding delete-11-19-11 to the folder. I will check it in a week or so and if all is ok I will delete it.

Should I leave the one in videos with delete or not?
I'm sorry for the error. I did click properties and found the original folder's path. The lap top and desktop differ a little but I renamed the original folder like you did. . I was asking if I should also keep the folders I had renamed in the library>videos also or jut the folders at the end of the path?
There is no folder in Library / Videos. That's a Junction point that is just a symbolic link to the real location of C:\users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Videos as Digerati mentioned.

See here: NTFS Junction Points
There is a folder in the library but thank you for pointing out that it is a junction point. The path you give does not lead to a FlipShare folder, though. I have tried very hard to find it that way. . My path appears to be; C: >users>my name>my videos>FlipShare I renamed the original folder as I was told and will wait to see how things go My inability to see it your way is only due to my lack of understanding because I appreciate any information I can get here.
Hello again Were you saying that by adding -delete-date to a folder that it disables it and if there is no probem after awhile, it is safe to remove it? I know this sounds redundant but I am checking to see if "renaming the file disables it". Thank you

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI