This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Lost Audio, PC says New Hardware found, but which driver?

36 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I just moved this post from the Windows software section because it might have to do with a driver. After 3 days there were no replies over in the other section. :pullhair:

Last week complements of CatByte I got malware cleaned off my PC. Find that link here:-

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=120623


PC specs:-

Windows XP Professional Edition Service Pack 3 (Version = 5.1.2600) - Type = NTWorkstation
Internet Explorer (Version = 8.0.6001.18702)
Locale: 00000409 | Country: United States | Language: ENU | Date Format: M/d/yyyy

2.00 Gb Total Physical Memory | 1.03 Gb Available Physical Memory | 51.52% Memory free
4.85 Gb Paging File | 3.99 Gb Available in Paging File | 82.31% Paging File free
Paging file location(s): C:\pagefile.sys 3069 3072 [binary data]

%SystemDrive% = C: | %SystemRoot% = C:\WINDOWS | %ProgramFiles% = C:\Program Files
Drive C: | 149.05 Gb Total Space | 84.91 Gb Free Space | 56.97% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS




Since the malware was removed I have been trying to lighten the burden on my poor old machine because CPU is working at 100% & to make it last another 6mths till I can buy a new one. I have been trying to find why the CPU runs at 100% & discovered lots of things draining resources heavily so I turned things off in Processes list .


When I was turning things on & off in the PROCESSES List I turned off the process that puts the speaker icon in the task bar at start up.

That icon never used to come up but now it’s there all the time. It didn’t occur to me it would turn of the whole speaker system! I was just trying to lighten the load at start up time.

But I can’t turn it back on because the Sounds & Audio Devices window says there are no audio devices. It’s all greyed out.

I have been reading about other people with sound problems. One says to do stuff in the bios but I don’t know how to get into that. Another fix is to download new drivers but I have no idea which to get. The install wizard wants to reinstall the Multimedia Audio Controller but I already listed in my original post why I have failed with that. I would like help to achieve that as it might be the solution.

I went looking for a restore point but they are all gone now & none being created each day.

With no restore point I decided to do the ‘search new hardware’ thing & sure enough PC found the Multimedia Audio Controller plus one in NON PLUG & PLAY called Serial but when I used the Found New Hardware Wizard the list of hardware & drivers was confusing & made no sense to me. The Multimedia Audio Controller was not listed & anyway how am I supposed to know which driver is the right one! I clicked on a few but always got a ‘danger, danger’ type message so I went no further. When I click it to connect to internet to find the wizard it says it can’t do that.

In the Multimedia Audio Controller Properties general tab it says all are working & accounted for. But then in other parts it says there is no device installed. However in the Control Panel under Sounds & Audio Devices Properties the volume, audio & voice tabs the sound/speaker sections are greyed out.

When I click on troubleshoot I just end up at the installation wizard. If I try to roll back the driver I get a window saying MS management Console encountered a problem & needs to close. If I try to update the driver I get the same inability to connect to net problem. I must add here that I don’t have an install disc. When the harddrive was replaced a few years ago I never got the installation discs back but it is all legit & registered with MS. I do have a Toshiba Product Recovery Disc but I’m not game to use it incase it’s the wrong thing.

In the Device Manager list the Multimedia Audio Controller has a yellow exclamation mark over it. I don’t know which driver I need, if indeed that is the problem.

So that’s where this problem is at. I need help to find the correct driver & try a reinstall first to get my sound working asap.

After that there are several other problems to do with the CPU usage.


I still have Bluetooth sound fortunately.

I have done some screen prints that I can upload to show where I have been looking & what I found.

I also tried to fix it via Microsoft Fix Center but ended up at the same place needing to install a driver the is not listed for a hardware item that has no name.


Today (day4 of no sound) I checked out Services in the Control Panel>Aministrative Tools & turned a few things back on again that i had turned off in the statup processes list but it made no difference. I also checked Compontnet Sevices to check the errors & there are many.



WHAT TO DO NOW??? :scratch:
OK then lets make sure the audio is enabled in the bios.
Reboot the system and at the first post screen tap the Del key normally and it should get you into the BIOS
In there find either the Advanced, Onboard or Integrated Peripherals areas.
Using the keyboard arrow keys scroll down to the Audio entry and make sure it is Enabled and if not then look at the bottom of the screen it will tell you how to adjust or modify the values to Enable it.
When done make sure to click F10 to Save and Exit with the setting.
You will then be asked to click Y to Verify the Save and Exit
The system will now reboot with the new settings saved.
Let me know if this helps.
Thanks so much rshaffer61 for your prompt reply. While I was working with the virus guys I had MS Windows Recovery Console installed. that screen comes up first for 1sec. Do I hit DEL after that screen or before it? The BIOS is one place I dare not tread so butterflies in my stomach! :wacko: PS how do I get out of the BIOS if I loose my way or get confused??
The bios is usually clicking Del at the first black post screen.
If you get confused at the bottom of the bios screen it should tell you how to exit without saving.
OK well tried that & there are several black screens. I'm guessing it's the initial one that has the cursor at the top left corner to type commands in DOS. There is also an extended pair of black screens right after the MS XP icon which goes on & on for ages. So assuming I'm to enter at the first one, the MS Windows Recovery Console screen comes up with several options on the next screen. SAfe Mode Safe Mode with Networking Safe Mode with Commamd Prompt Enable Boot Logging Enable VGA Mode Last Known Good Configuration Directory Services Restore Mode Debugging Mode Disable Auto restart on System failure Which am I to use? Like I said this is a place I don't go to! :)
I'm sorry to be such a pain but I failed at that task rshaffer61! :blush: It took me several attempts to work out which black screen because immediately upon pressing the power button there is a screen with Toshiba written across it with a bar at the bottom saying F2 for Setup or F12 for Boot Service. I tried both of those. F2 got me into a page called Phoenix BIOS SETUP UTILITY. There were 6 headings each with just a few things listed but no expandable lists & no page had anything remotely to do with the general hardware parts of the computer. The last heading contained the save & exit bit, referring to it as the CMOS. So I tried to restart again & immediately following the Toshiba screen is the MS Windows Recovery Console as I described in prior post. Immediately following that screen is the MS WindowsXP screen with the scroll bar that goes on & on & on & on!!! ssslllooooow as :wacko: I tried to restart so many times I ended up getting a message telling me there was a problem & it was going to revert to the last known good configuration so I thought I'd better leave it alone for a while. I don't want it spitting the dummy totally! I am still getting the hardware installation wizard sitting on the desktop during startup wanting to install either the Multimedia Audio Controller or a Serial driver out of the Sound, Audio Devices section. But I can't follow the instructions because I don't know what driver or where to find it & there is no installation disc with this PC. I have screen prints of those 2 problems showing on the list of Devices. OK so what next to try?

F2 got me into a page called Phoenix BIOS SETUP UTILITY

This is the right screen.


Look for something that may say Integrated Peripherals
Is this a name brand system and if so what brand, make and model?
If not a name brand system then please do the following.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages…

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"
[attachment removed]
It's a Toshiba Satellite M60. There is no wording such as Integrated Peripherals on any of the screens or pages I could get to before Windows began loading. Under the heading Phoenix BIOS SETUP UTILITY there are 6 subjects across the top of the page but there are no expandable lists under any of those sections. They are as follows:- Main (containing a few basic specs of PC); Advanced (Enable & Disable USB, CPU, LAN, keyboard); Security (passwords & authorities); Others(battery alarms); Boot (CD/DVD, HDD, FDD, LAN); Exit (save & exit changes, reset default, CMOS That's all that 's in that section. Exiting that part sends PC straight into Windows start up. The MS Windows Recovery Console has just recently been loaded on. CatByte asked me to include it when we were removing the malware. Usually there would be a black screen that lasted 2-3secs during which time I could hit F12 & go straight to the command screen. I do that when I do a full image using Gentoo. It's the only thing I know how to do in that part of the computer. But since loading the MS Windows Recovery Console it all looks different. The best I can do is get it into that section again & take some photos of it & att them here in next post. But as I said there are no expandable lists or headings. I am att'ing 3 screen prints of the Device Manager list showing the malfunctioning parts.
rshaffer61 I knew I had a software that gives a very extensive run down of the whole computer. I just had to find it. It was right under my nose on the desktop in my AVG PC Tuneup Utility! It does all that the program you asked my to install plus lots more. I also have another one that does similar things called Disk Check. I have made a screen print it it's output also. I will do some screen prints & post them in about 10-15mins.

Toshiba Satellite M60.

There should be one of the following numbers after the above.


132
134
161
182
183


Can you verify which it is please so I can direct you to the correct audio driver from Toshiba.
Here are the screen prints from DiskCheck & AVG TuneUP SYSINF. I found the details for the Multimedia Audio Controller. It's a thing that has lots of controls like an equalizer that opens when I click on the speaker icon that is now missing from my task bar. I think we need to try to get that driver since the PC keeps wanting to reinstall it. I don't know if the info contained on that page I screen printed is enough to find the driver.
Nope didn't help at all Please try the below and post the requested log.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages…

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"
Muhahahahhaa more then one way to find a driver.

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-1]


Lets try this….
On the bottom of your laptop there should be a metal plate or a sticker with a serial number . Can you supply that so that I can use it to get to the original driver please. I think you need the standard AC97 audio driver but I want to make sure that is what Toshiba is saying was the original driver.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI