This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Persistent crashes in Vista

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

HP G60 notebook (2009), invariably wired to LAN; a series of OS failures under fairly specific circumstances. Crashes happen mostly at the conjunction of web traffic & Windows Media Player running. Soon after WMP starts playing, down the system goes. Funnily enough, also when trying to listen to MelodyGardot.com online (in Chrome; presumably using Flash, so no WMP?) while another browser tab is running. Suspecting RAM failure, I checked & double-checked. All clear. Suspecting Conexant sound driver, I reinstalled & updated. No improvement. Suspecting a security issue, I went through the loops. Nothing found. Windows Health Check gives an informational warning only: >>A logical disk has a low amount of free disk space. D: has 1317 MB free disk space. There is 12% free. Low disk space may cause poor performance and low virtual memory errors.<< But there have been no VM warnings throughout, and I do not think I should mess with D; it is supposed to take care of itself, if I have it right. The report says drivers are OK. Every time Vista crashes, there is BSOD with IRQL driver notice. Here is a recent minidump log: ================================================== Dump File : Mini082211-01.dmp Crash Time : 8/22/2011 22:57:19 Bug Check String : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Bug Check Code : 0x000000d1 Parameter 1 : 0x00000000 Parameter 2 : 0x00000002 Parameter 3 : 0x00000001 Parameter 4 : 0x8ae88815 Caused By Driver : ndis.sys Caused By Address : ndis.sys+8815 File Description : NDIS 6.0 wrapper driver Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Company : Microsoft Corporation File Version : 6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830) Processor : 32-bit Crash Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+4dfd9 Stack Address 1 : ndis.sys+8815 Stack Address 2 : ndis.sys+85ab Stack Address 3 : ntkrnlpa.exe+aa32b Computer Name : Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini082211-01.dmp Processors Count : 2 Major Version : 15 Minor Version : 6002 Dump File Size : 141,336 ================================================== On reboot, I get a pop-up message that Windows had to close down unexpectedly & I would be informed if a solution is found. I have been waiting since May, but obviously Windows is still looking. Is any action warranted, or should I just sit it out (in quiet) and wait for MS to inject some healing process into my system?
Hi richtea,

Bug Check Code : 0x000000d1
Parameter 1 : 0x00000000
Parameter 2 : 0x00000002
Parameter 3 : 0x00000001
Parameter 4 : 0x8ae88815
Caused By Driver : ndis.sys
Caused By Address : ndis.sys+8815
File Description : NDIS 6.0 wrapper driver


Caused By Driver : ndis.sys A Vista driver that handles network connections (cannot be changed or updated).

File Description : NDIS 6.0 wrapper driver. NDIS (Network Driver Interface Specification) wrapper driver provides the NDIS packet-level interface to the TCP/IP (Dial-up, Remote Access).

Replace Ethernet driver with this one and see how you go.


Cheers,
Lee
Thanks, Lee! I have downloaded the driver & reinstalled. It took two attempts, since initially I got an HP warning that it might not have installed correctly. I also notice the driver is designated for Vista SP1, while I have SP2. On the repeat install, I got a pop-up: RegDBGetKeyValueEx failed. But the system is up & running at the moment. I just need to do some testing to see how stable it is.

I also notice the driver is designated for Vista SP1, while I have SP2.


Vista 32bit or 64 bit is important but SP1 or SP2 isn't (not as far as I'm aware anyway). The link I gave you was for Vista 32bit and I'm positive that is what you have.

It might help to know which HP60 model you own as there are a lot of them. "2009" doesn't help much as there were several models around in 2009 :(

Cheers,
Lee
OK, it seems I am sorted for now - Melody Gardot, lately such femme fatale in the life & works of my HP G60-440US, is singing as I write. Chrome has several tabs open, plus I am delivering this on FF. All is as it used to be. I just have not had the courage to start up WMP yet, but I will. So thanks again for a stellar job, Lee! And yes, your assumption about the 32-bit was correct.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI