I have a Sony Vaio laptop, VGN-NR385E running Windows Vista. I have been having a recurring problem for about a week now with my wireless going out. This is not a router or internet problem, since other computers on the network are still able to access the internet. The light on my wireless LAN will go out, even though the switch is still on. Trying windows "diagnose and repair" tells me the switch is off, even though it is on. When I go to the driver information, it says that the device is functioning normally. Restarting the computer would briefly turn the light back on, but it would be off again when the computer finished booting up.
I had Sony support try and fix this twice. The first time, the tech said something was wrong with my wireless settings. He took over my computer and fixed the problem. However, once he was done my AVG and Ad Aware and Tivo Desktop did not work. I could not uninstall them, and I had to reinstall them to uninstall them. I eventually had to restore the system back to when they had fixed it. It ran fine for a couple of days, and then it went out again. I contacted Sony support again, and the support said they updated the driver (which I had tried to do, but it said I had the current version installed).
I thought perhaps it was some kind of malware or virus, and so I had posted the problem in those boards. The tech there doesn't believe that it is a malware or virus problem, and suggested I try another forum. The wireless had been working for about 5 days after the last fix, when it went out again this evening. Restarting the computer did bring it back on, but I would like to find a permanent fix to this problem.
Hi hiliaryvm,
Sorry to hear about the problems with your machine.
It's always best to complete the clean up work over in the virus and malware removal forum, before making ANY system or other changes, that have not been recommended by Tomk (malware removal expert)
Here's a link to your virus and malware removal topic.
Once you have completed any clean ups recommended by Tomk and he has declared your machine free from malicious or undesirable elements, post back here if you are still having issues with it and we will do our best to help
Regards
paws
Hi hiliaryvm,
I see that Tomk has finished the cleanup over in the virus and malware removal forum, if you are still having issues with the wireless cutting out then try this:
1 Make sure your wireless switch is in the "On" position, then Click Start>All programs>Vaio Control Centre
2 Double click Network connections and Vaio Smart Network
3 Click the button next to or above your desired wireless options in the Vaio Smart window
4 Right click either the signal strength icon (5 or so vertical bars) or your network icon (2 VDU's semi super-imposed) on your taskbar and select
"Connect to network"
5 Select your desired wireless Access Point ( WAP) and click "Connect"
See if this does the trick….
If still no joy then disable your internal wireless network adapter and then borrow or buy a cheap USB wireless network adapter (you can get them for a "pound or two or a dollar or three" (pretty inexpensive) install the drivers first then plug in the USB wireless Network Adapter and see if your Internet connection remains stable using this…
Let us know how you get on
Regards
paws