This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Computer keeps freezing from slight vibration/movement

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi everyone, Before I get into the problem, here is my specs: OS: Windows 7 64 bit Professional HDD: 1.5 TB main drive partitioned into 500/1000 (Seagate) 1.0 TB secondary drive (Western Digital) RAM: 6 GB (3 x 2 GB) @ 1600 mhz CPU: Core i7 @ 2.66 Ghz Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 series I think that is everything. For my problem, my computer would freeze on any slight vibration. My tower is on the desk so any slight movement done to the desk have a good chance of freezing the computer. For example, if I put my leg under one of the desk compartments below, that movement might freeze the computer. Another example is sometimes when I get off my chair and step on the floor, that minor impact of my foot to the ground gets transmitted to my desk and to my tower. And that freezes the computer at times too. The computer is custom built and I had it for ~3 to 4 years now. The problem started happening since May. I cleaned out the dust from the PC except from the CPU fan. (Could not get the vaccuum suction in there) I also ran Diagnostic tools from Seagate on the HDD and it passed every test. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Thank you for your time.
You need to be careful using a vacuum because the dust particles and air molecules banging into the nozzle can create a very substantial charge of static electricity in the nozzle - especially some plastic nozzles. This static WILL seek out a path to discharge - this "ESD" - electro-static discharge is very destructive to ESD sensitive devices such as CPUs and memory devices. So I only use a vacuum when it is pouring down rain and taking the computer outside to blast with compressed air is impractical. And when I do use a vacuum, I wrap my hand around the end of the nozzle, sticking a finger out front to plant on bare metal of the case to keep the static from building up in the first place. Then I use a soft 1/2 inch wide paint brush to brush the dust towards the vacuum nozzle. Note you cleaned everything, but the most important part, the CPU's heatsink fan assembly. :(

That said, this is not a heat problem. It is most likely you have a cable connection that has worked its way loose through vibrations from footfalls, kicks, drive and fan motors. Loose connections allow dirt to get in between the contact surfaces so I recommend you disconnect and reconnect each and every connection a couple times to scrape the contacts clean, ensuring the final connection is tight and secure. Start by unplugging the PSU from the wall first, then touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static. Any PSU cable not used, try to tuck out of the way to minimize impacting desired front to back air flow through the case.

You need to be careful using a vacuum because the dust particles and air molecules banging into the nozzle can create a very substantial charge of static electricity in the nozzle - especially some plastic nozzles. This static WILL seek out a path to discharge - this "ESD" - electro-static discharge is very destructive to ESD sensitive devices such as CPUs and memory devices. So I only use a vacuum when it is pouring down rain and taking the computer outside to blast with compressed air is impractical. And when I do use a vacuum, I wrap my hand around the end of the nozzle, sticking a finger out front to plant on bare metal of the case to keep the static from building up in the first place. Then I use a soft 1/2 inch wide paint brush to brush the dust towards the vacuum nozzle. Note you cleaned everything, but the most important part, the CPU's heatsink fan assembly. :(

That said, this is not a heat problem. It is most likely you have a cable connection that has worked its way loose through vibrations from footfalls, kicks, drive and fan motors. Loose connections allow dirt to get in between the contact surfaces so I recommend you disconnect and reconnect each and every connection a couple times to scrape the contacts clean, ensuring the final connection is tight and secure. Start by unplugging the PSU from the wall first, then touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static. Any PSU cable not used, try to tuck out of the way to minimize impacting desired front to back air flow through the case.


Wow! I did not know that. Thanks for informing me.
As for the cable connection, I will check it out.
I will be away from my computer for a while so I won't have time to check currently.
But I will respond here if the problem still exists in the future. (If thread isn't gone by then).

Thank you for your help/time!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI