Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

sign in

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:00 PM

My wife and I spend most of our lives typing usernames and passwords into our email programs;she has one and I have three;IOne Comcast-ISP-and 2 hotmail or .live. How do we set things so we can avoid this repetition? I know to check,"remember me' but besides that we still have to check in so I think some of my settings are wrong. Usially we use MSIE 9 and Win 7 and occasionally FF. Thank you

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:11 PM

Not sure, but I'm guessing that you use Ccleaner so faithfully and frequently that you are removing the activeX components necessary for the email client to recognize you.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:54 AM

I'll keep elimiating the things I do till I find out. I use Ccleaner about once a week and then only the items in the attachemnet. I maintain the pc once a week and wonder if you feel I am too anal? Maybe I am depicted as an old retired guy with too much time on his hamds? :smack:

Edited by Peter1, 31 August 2011 - 06:54 AM.

#4 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:21 AM

for starters the "remember me" feature of a site, depends on the cookie it leaves on your pc, which you delete with ccleaner, also it's not a good idea to tick this box especially if other people use your pc. when you leave a secure site you always want to be logged out from it first, i do believe most will automatically log you out anyway after a set amount of time. i think outlook express is the main email manager for a windows pc, and once setup should automatically get all your e-mails from each account when you start it, then you'll only need to enter 1 password when you start it, i also think you can set it so no password is needed(again not recommended). there might be better email managers out there for windows but i can't think of any, i was hoping more people would respond with what they use, maybe you should of just asked "what do you use for email management and why?" :D if you use firefox to remember your passwords but it doesn't then i'd guess you have the option set to delete all history including passwords when you close firefox, in the firefox options itself, if there is such an option. :popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 31 August 2011 - 11:30 AM.

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

I'll untick cookies then and see how it goes. Our ISP we both use for email and it is my wife's work address. I use dot live accounts which are really hotmail accounts. My isp is for family, one hotmail for important correspondence and the other as a toss away. I have Windows Live Mail on Win 7 not Outlook Express. I could have had Oulook if I had the full version of Office. I have the Student one which is limited. It allows me to consolidate all email programs except my ISP but I don't know why. I have tried but it balks at the attempt. I hope, except for cookies, the rest of the Ccleaner boxes are ok. I guess I should not have cookies checked in MSIE9 either then?

#6 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:16 PM

to be honest peter i always delete all my cookies too, and yes the settings look fine in ccleaner to me. like i told you in another topic i just use firefox and get it to remember my passwords so i don't have to keep manually finding and entering them each time.(not best security practise, but that's what i do anyway) :popcorn: .

#7 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:44 AM

I don't think you have compromised your security greatly and sounds like a god idea - glad you put me on to it. I used to use FF when a site woud not accept MSIE 9 but have been using it more and more. Too bad everybody else is. :wavey: