For years I've always heard and read that you MUST run RAM's that are the same size!
I bought a Toshiba Satellite Win 7 64 laptop, a few months back, and it came with 4 gig's of RAM (2 X 2gig).
I always look at sale ads for electronics and I've been noticing quite a few new computers with odd sizes like 3gig and 6 gig! When you look at their tech specs, they list 3gig (1 X 1gig + 1 X 2gig) and or 6 gig (1 x 2 gig + 1 X 4 gig). I see it from ALL the laptop manufactures now.
Is it now no big deal??
I've been kicking around the idea of ordering a 4gig and kicking up the total RAM to 6gig. I was just on the Toshiba website and I see various versions of my model with that combination??
Thanks!
I've always heard and read that you MUST run RAM's that are the same size!
No that is not the case…..
Some machines ( not all by any means) are set up so that for best performance they need "matched pairs" of memory.
However this doesn't mean that you can't have a different amount of memory in each module and they don't even have to come from the same manufacturer!….
Confusing eh?
For all the information you need on your machine's memory and what is the best upgrade, type latency voltage, number of pins, format etc go here:
www.crucial.com
Click to allow the crucial scanner to scan your system….. (note that its generally accepted that an ActiveX control is safe to accept from that site)
You will receive as much information as you want ( and probably a bit more!) about your system and the recommended enhancements, including the price etc
Crucial are the folks who actually make the memory… (Micron) you don't have to buy the memory from them if you dont want to……. but they have a good reputation and I have been using and specifying their modules for years and with no complaints to date!
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI