This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Laptop doesn't detect any wireless network

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi :) A few days ago a friend came for a visit from another coutry and tried to connect to my network, but the laptop was unable to see any wireless network. Friend says it used to work perfectly in his country. My network seems to be fine as well, since I have two laptops of my own already connected. I tried to meddle with the windows settings on the laptop (XP service pack 4), but I guess my network skills are too basic :) Any ideas? I can post details if you tell me what's needed. Dxdiag perhaps?
Hi Alexg and welcome to WhatTheTech… First, there is only a service pack 3 or older for XP. No service pack 4. Next, its likely you friend simply bumped the switch to turn the wireless card off on the laptop. Many laptops have a switch on the side or front that slides to turn wireless on or off. Other laptops have a special "function" key on the keyboard to press or a button elsewhere. Thats the first thing to check if no wireless networks are detected. You didn't provide details about what type of laptop or model so my best information is general.
Heh yes it's service pack 3, my bad :) You were right, there is some Bluetooth switch. I turned it on, then had to disable Windows firewall. After that it started detecting networks, and I turned the firewall back on :) Thanks :D

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI