This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

DBAN

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello The tutorials seem clear exept they sort of jump past the beginning. Is the idea to go to the site and download and burn the program to disc. Then set boot order to boot from cd ? After that you are into the program and can follow the prompts you wish to use. It was the beginning that threw me off so please let me know if this is correct. Thank you Peter
Special Note: If you insert and load DBAN from the CD you create, and then select to run it….. It "will" wipe "any and every" storage device on the machine. I love DBAN. But remove any HD, USB device, external hard drive, if you wish to keep the data on that storage device. My advice… If using DBAN to clean a Hard Drive…. Only have one (1) hard drive installed on the machine when using DBAN.
I am given some older pcs by relatives and also have given some of my own away. I know the importance of not allowing someone else to have access to your hard drive so want to be prepared for the next give a way. I know some families who can use pcs for school work etc but don't want them to use recuva or other program to read the harddrives. Thank you for the initial confirmation, and I know I can follow the prompts after that.
don't forget every pc needs an operating system to work, dban will wipe out that operating system plus all data, so unless you have the means to put the operating system back after using dban, you may find the pc is now useless to whomever you pass it onto and negate your good intentions. :popcorn:

don't forget every pc needs an operating system to work, dban will wipe out that operating system plus all data, so unless you have the means to put the operating system back after using dban, you may find the pc is now useless to whomever you pass it onto and negate your good intentions.

:popcorn:



Good reminder Terri. I have the O.S. and drivers discs for each machine I pass on.
don't forget some of those install discs may need the hidden partition on the hard drive that a lot/most pc's come with now, this partition holds the os files needed to re-install the operating system and any programs shipped with the pc. dbam may(never used it so no idea what choices you get) delete and erase that partition rendering the install discs useless. dbam is a very powerful tool and if your not 100% sure of what your doing you can render a pc useless until you go out and buy a new operating system or install a free linux os. :popcorn:
Now I am not sure what to do. I do not want to have my files read but don't want to render a machine useless. Maybe we chip in for a new hard drive. Or,maybe the Linux system we have discussed is an option.
no need to buy a new hard drive,(would still leave you with the problem of installing an os anyway) all you need is an understanding of exactly what your going to need to re-install the os and exactly what dban is going to delete/erase. personally i've never used dban so can't advise on how best to use it or even what choices you'll get when using it. if it shows at least 2 partitions of say around 5gb for 1 partition and rest of drive for other partition then you'll know it probably has a hidden partition(the 5gb partition) where the files are that you'll(might) need for a re-install depending on the install discs. if dban doesn't offer you the choice to leave that partition alone and just delete erase the other partition(or doesn't even show what partitions are on a drive) do "not" carry on using dban just escape out of it. there are other ways/means to safely erase all your data and leave the hidden partition alone if dban doesn't offer you the choice, seeing how it's linux based i would be very surprised if it never gave you such choices tho. all i'm trying to instill in you is be careful and "know what your doing", not "think you know what your doing" and end up with a pc with no operating system. if this does happen then yes of course there's lots of free linux based operating systems we can install, but why fix something when with a little better understanding in the first place can make sure you securely wipe the data from the hard drive and then re-install the original operating system without a problem :D :popcorn: a good precaution would be to make a backup image of the complete drive/partitions before you start, that way if things don't go as planned you can put the pc back as it was and try again. ;)
I think the last part of your message is most important. I am known for obsessing about imaging. It is so easy and serves such an important purpose. I don't think I would use a pc that was not with a current image. I use Acronis for both the lap and the desk although I have tried Win 7, Macrium and EaseUs. And yes, I do understand that one should not blindly jump into a task. I understand there are other hard drive erasing programs like disk wipe and Eraser.My son in law has the Eraser cd. I have been studying the tutorials on Bing and Google videos. and they are quite clear. Whatever program I would use, I would pay attention to that 5 GB utility so it is not damaged or removed. Thank you for the tips.
I like some of Ccleaners features but I thought it could only be used to delete free space. Can you delete the entire hard drive with it?
you don't delete the entire hard drive, so don't need to worry about installing the os again, what you do is delete your data files then use it to clean up and write zeros to the empty space on your hard drive, this overwrites where the data was stored and makes it impossible for programs like recuva to recover your data. easiest way to test how good programs like ccleaner and file shredder etc erase any trace of your data is to actually use them then use recuva or my favorite photorec(linux) and see if you can find the data again. :popcorn:
I saw a video of recuva and it is quite an application. It did just what you said. The person created a file on desktop and then removerd it. Using recuva he restored it. At my level it is hard to conceptualize the hard drive. I see it as an entity where entries, or binaries -ones and zeroes- are written upon. Then they are periodically removed and written over as the user runs programs etc. Therefore unless the entire drive is erased, I cannot see how all the information is removed. I don't know if I atrticulated that point well but it is why I see the need to cover the entire drive, not that I will. I noticed C: in Ccleaner or Revo ,not sure which, and I mistakenly thought you could save it to a flash drive then use that to erase the C:. I know better now I can hear you laughing from here. Anyway, I am hetting a better idea as I go along. I have access to the Eraser disc which think would do the trick if I need to clean out the hard drive before giving it away. I remember your caveat about learning about the program before blindly using it. I still have Acronis by my elbow just in case. I hope it never fails me.
nope, i never laugh at someone who asks a question because they don't understand something, no matter how simple it may seem to others, we've all been there, lots and lots i don't fully understand about pc's including hard drives. ;)

easiest way maybe is if you think of it like a library, to find a book you'd first look at the cards that tell you were it is, before going to find it, now when you delete a file/data on your pc, all your doing is removing the card which tells the pc where the book is, but in reality the book/file/data is still there in the library/on your hard drive, so you'd find it eventually if you look through everything, and that's all programs like recurva do, look through everything.

now when you delete a file/data from a pc(remove the card that tells it where the data is stored) then use a program like ccleaner to go and write zero's to any empty spaces on the drive, what it's doing is checking the library cards telling it where a book is, then going to all the spaces where no cards say there's a book, and if it finds a book(your deleted data) removes it leaving a gap/zero there, so now when a program like recuva looks through everything it won't find any books that you can't already see are there from the cards.

ok there is a bit of a debate about exactly how good just writing zeros to a space is at permanently removing data from a hard drive, and some programs write random numbers there first then write a zero last to make sure it can't be recovered but to be honest unless you take the drive apart and use special forensics on the platter, i think just writing zero's is good enough to foil programs like recurva from ever being able to recover your data.

seems ccleaner does actually zero a complete hard drive too, not just the empty space if you so choose, of course zeroing a complete hard drive necessitates an os install, where as just zeroing the empty space would leave your os intact and just clear any deleted data. :- http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/usin…free-disk-space

hope this gives you a little better understanding of how a pc's os stores and finds data on the hard drive anyway.

best way to learn about such programs is to use and experiment with them, including recurva, and like you said acronis is your friend when things go pear shaped. :D .

another "caveat" for you, don't experiment on your daily machine unless you have to, always use a 2nd pc if you have one. :P

:popcorn:

just read that ccleaner link more thoroughly and looks like it won't zero a complete hard drive if it's the one with os on(boot drive)

For safety reasons, this feature is disabled for the boot drive.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI