This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

My Network Places

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

We have 2 PCs, one with XP HOME (computer 1) and one with XP PRO (computer 2), connected by ethernet cables through an Edimax Router Modem. This works fine; we each get internet connections and share each others files and printers. Now we are changing one of the PCs (computer 1 with XP HOME) for a new model which also has XP PRO (computer 3). So now we have compter 2 and computer 3, both with XP PRO.. I have used the Wizard to set up the network. PC 3 has a different name to either PC 1 or PC 2. PC 2 still works fine and I can see the Shared files for both PCs in MY NETWORK PLACES. However, MY NETWORK PLACES is empty on the new PC3. But if I look in the WORKGROUP on PC3 I can see PC2 and PC3 OK and in fact can access the shared files on PC2. and PC3. So why is the MY NETWORK PLACES empty on PC3? Thanks for any help.

However, MY NETWORK PLACES is empty on the new PC3. But if I look in the WORKGROUP on PC3 I can see…

Given that the former was empty, what method did you use in the second to view the WORKGROUP on PC3 ?

Tallon41

[after the wizard runs you need to re-boot TWICE. It will also turn-on the windows firewall….unless you've another and it's disabled, as long as you selected to 'turn-on file and printer sharing', this is not a problem; and it sounds like you did that.]
When I am using PC3 (the new one) and am in MY NETWORK PLACES (which is empty), there is a box to the left which includes VIEW WORKGROUP COMPUTERS. When I click on this it shows me both PCs (PC2 and PC3). I can click on either and see the shared files. To be clear, when I am using PC2 (the old one), MY NETWORK PLACES shows me the shared files folder on both PCs. Hope this is clear. Thanks for your help..

When I am using PC3 (the new one) and am in MY NETWORK PLACES (which is empty), there is a box to the left which includes VIEW WORKGROUP COMPUTERS. When I click on this it shows me both PCs (PC2 and PC3).


Ensure that the "TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service" is running and on "Automatic" [on both machines.]

start–righ-click "my computer", choose -manage-. When the "computer management" window opens, maximize and expand -services and applications-, then click -services-.
In the right pane are the services sorted alpha, by name. Double-click a "service" to open it's "properties."

Tallon41
I've checked the service on both PCs and it is already running as AUTOMATIC. I also ran the Network setup wizard again and rebooted twice as you instructed. Unfortunately there is no improvement. Thanks for your suggestions so far
This is why I only use the “my network places” link on the Start Menu for a Right-click access to the Network Connections window. Normally that would indicate that the wizard was not yet run, but I’ve seen this myself on some systems. Ensure that the following services are ‘started’ and Automatic, though they likely are: Computer Browser Server Workstation When this happens I just use a different method of accessing the Workgroup which does work. Right-click the -start- button, and choose -explore-. When the explore window opens, maximize it and pull the scroll-bar in the left pane [if present] all the way to the bottom. In the same left-pane, near the bottom, look for “my network places” and expand it. You should now see “entire network” under it, expand that as well. Look for “Microsoft Windows network” and expand it also. Here is where all of the “workgroups” that are discovered will be displayed, expand the one you wish to explore. You should now see, in both panes, icons for the various PC’s detected for that workgroup. If that works when the other does not, then I’ve not yet figured-out why it does, and the other does not…. It SHOULD offer “entire network” in the middle section on the "my network places" window, but it does not (maybe yours does ? if so you can click that and pickup the instructions there.) sometimes running the wizard again does fix it, but after a couple times (with two reboots between them,) if it does not, further attempts will not change that behavior. I’ve no explanation for it. Tallon41
Thanks for all your help, but no luck unfortunately. It is a new PC I am setting up, and it has a 14-day no quibble return. So I am going to take this route. This is not the only problem I've experienced - I can't install the driver for my wireless keyboard either. Nor will the driver for the graphics card update (either via Microsoft update or directly from ATI). So clearly there is something not quite right with it!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI