This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

computer will not boot

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

my system started crashing after pc optimizer was removed , every attempt at a restore point either failed or crashed when I tried to do anything Spybot search and destroy gave a window that said it had been changed to check for viruses , I would like to slave the drive to get any documents off it , then wipe and reload it , does anyone know how to load eraser 5.8 on a CD and get it to auto run [like it will from a floppy ] thanks I normally use Spyware doctor w anti-virus [pctools] it would not start either

my system started crashing after pc optimizer was removed , every attempt at a restore point either failed or crashed when I tried to do anything Spybot search and destroy gave a window that said it had been changed to check for viruses , I would like to slave the drive to get any documents off it , then wipe and reload it , does anyone know how to load eraser 5.8 on a CD and get it to auto run [like it will from a floppy ] thanks I normally use Spyware doctor w anti-virus [pctools] it would not start either


Hiya Robert,

Sorry to hear about your problems, to me you appear to be asking several questions in this posting.
1. How to copy your doc's off the drive and
2. How to load eraser 5.8

1st. The easy way to copy any of your files off the drive that your going to wipe and reload an operating system on it would be this way, a program called Puppylinux, here is the link of where to get it and read over the instructions of how to use it.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

2ND. Question I have not heard of Erase 5.8 and cannot give you no info on this program. Your best bet for getting all your files would to following the instructions of the link provided.

Jimbo1

Eraser - Eraser is a secure data removal tool for Windows. It completely removes sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting it several times with carefully selected patterns.

I use DBAN for this: Darrick's Boot And Nuke. It's a .iso file you download and use as input to create a bootable CD from.
Boot the CD and at the prompt, type autonuke and press enter. It will do a 3 pass erase of the entire drive, though I've found that letting it run for a few minutes is sufficient if I'm going to reinstall the OS. That wipes out the Partition Table and MBR so the drive is RAW (un-initialized).

Partition and format the drive during the OS install and you should be good to go.

I use ImgBurn to create the bootable CD from the .iso file. Burn at 4X speed if possible.
if your already using puppy linux to rescue files from a hard drive, you don't need any other programs/discs to securely erase the drive/partition afterwards, just use puppy linux and the "shred" command. :popcorn:
Cool, their you go Robert1959, you have a lot of info now. WTT folks are the best for getting info and help when needed and hope this helps you. Jimbo1

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI