This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Power Options

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I used the power option to instruct the system to Never go to sleep. This,after it had gone to sleep twice while it was downloading from a site and also while uTorrent(Bittorrent client) was working.Never sleep is an option which is ON even if the pc is doing nothing. This is silly. I have tried but not found an option to make pc go to sleep only when not operating a software . Question: Is there any way to set the pc to go to sleep only when it not busy downloading or running any other program? If so, what? Please.
I believe it's keyed of user activity (keyboard/mouse) rather than computer activity (hard drive/network). I would disable sleep completely if you need to have it run for extended periods without user input and setup the screen saver to turn off the display after 10 minutes of no activity but never turn off the hard drive of network.

I believe it's keyed of user activity (keyboard/mouse) rather than computer activity (hard drive/network).

I would disable sleep completely if you need to have it run for extended periods without user input and setup the screen saver to turn off the display after 10 minutes of no activity but never turn off the hard drive of network.



Good answer, Z ! :thumbup:

… while it was downloading from a site and also while uTorrent(Bittorrent client) was working.

/climbs on soapbox

Bad idea.

P2P applications, like uTorrent, are the largest source of malware we see. You'll be doing yourself a favor by removing it.

References for the risk of these programs can be found in these links:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/commun…protection.mspx
http://www.techweb.com/wire/160500554
http://www.internetworldstats.com/articles/art053.htm


I would recommend that you uninstall uTorrent, however that choice is up to you. If you choose to remove these programs, you can do so via Control Panel >> Add or Remove Programs.

/puts soapbox away
Thank you,Gentlemen. I still think it is silly to tie in the sleep with keyboard/mouse. P2P: I do not use it to download movies etc from special sites. There are many places where stuff unconnected to copyright is downloaded and they now request use of bittorrent to save bandwith.These are sites that are dependent on donations only,have no adds and must save every penny that they can. So my uTorrent is doing no harm. I believe that you all are not only experienced in all matters Windows but that you have contact with the walawala's of MS. If so, kindly consider bringing this matter to their attention?! It should not be difficult for MS to key it to activity rather than the mouse etc. Once again thank you.
Hmmm, I wonder if you could leave sleep mode active but disable the power option to turn off the network. That might do what you want.
How do I do what you have suggested.I simply do not know enough to do anything out of the ordiniary.I get nervous just switching on :pullhair:
Open Device Manager (Start, Run type devmgmt.msc and press Enter), expand Network Adapters. Double click on the Wireless device. Click on the Power Management tab. Uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. See if that fixes the problem.
Thank you,but—- There is no Run after opening the device manager from control panel. I did manage to expand Network Adapter but there is no wireless device just 'Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controler—this has a power managment when I clicked on that there was an option to Unclick to allow computer to turn itself off to save power. Should I uncheck it? Thank you for all the trouble you are taking.
Sorry, I thought you were having a wireless problem. Yes, please go ahead and uncheck it for your Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller as turning off power to it will have the same effect as turning off power to a wireless device.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI