I don't understand why my computer is running so slowly? This computer use to be a work horse! Confidence right when you hit the power button…. now… I have no clue? I thought possibly my Memory Sticks were going bad? But the system claims both sticks are operating at 2GB. I thought this was a 4GB computer?
Well anyways… point being… I don't know what's causing the computer to process everything slowly? I don't believe I have any adware or malware running in the background? I've also had the computer freeze several times. It happens sporadic… and also… the computer will simply restart on its own. I'm wondering if I'm having a hardware issue rather than a virus issue?
Could anyone please help diagnose this issue? Thank You!
My name is Tomk. I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. Logs can take a while to research, so please be patient and I'd be grateful if you would note the following:
I will be working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for the issues on this machine.
Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
The best I can do for you is have a look for malware to rule that out.
In order to do this… I need a log to look at.
Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.
Double click DDS icon to run the tool (may take up to 3 minutes to run)
When done, DDS.txt will open.
After a few moments, attach.txt will open in a second window.
Save both reports to your desktop.
—————————————————
Post the contents of the DDS.txt report in your next reply
Attach the Attach.txt report to your post by scroling down to the Attachments area and then clicking Browse. Browse to where you saved the file, and click Open and the click UPLOAD.
TFC will close all open programs itself in order to run,
Click the Start button to begin the process.
Allow TFC to run uninterrupted.
The program should not take long to finish it's job
Once its finished it should automatically reboot your machine,
if it doesn't, manually reboot to ensure a complete clean
Then
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.
Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.
Note: If you receive a notice that some of the items couldn't be removed, that they have been added to the delete on reboot list, please reboot (shut down your computer then restart it).
Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.0.1200
www.malwarebytes.org
Database version: 7053
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702
7/9/2011 12:46:33 AM
mbam-log-2011-07-09 (00-46-33).txt
Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 155067
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 52 second(s)
Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0
Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Registry Keys Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Registry Values Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Registry Data Items Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Folders Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Files Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Thank you for taking the time in examining my system. I just don't understand why my computer is slower than usual? Sometime it wants to reboot on it's own. It also locks up all by itself. I feel something is running in the background causing this. Or is my memory damaged? Any other ideas?
My best advice is to post over in the Windows forum and let the Tech Team put you through their paces. If there isn't any malware to work with… I'm pretty much worthless. When you post there, please include a link back to this thread so that they will have access to your information here in case it will help them.
But first - Your Java is out of date.
Java™ 6 can be updated from the Java Control Panel. Go Start > Control Panel(Classic View) > Java (looks like a coffee cup) > Update Tab > Update Now. An update should begin; follow the prompts.
Now to remove most of the tools that we have used in fixing your machine:
Make sure you have an Internet Connection.
Download OTC to your desktop and run it
A list of tool components used in the cleanup of malware will be downloaded.
If your Firewall or Real Time protection attempts to block OTC to reach the Internet, please allow the application to do so.
Click Yes to begin the cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.
The following is my standard advice for the future. Use what you can and pat yourself on the back for what you're already doing.
Please respond back that you understand the above and let me know if you have any questions. Otherwise, this thread will be closed Resolved (at least as far as malware is concerned).