Schillerdog
Topic Starter
My PC has become very slow especially when running multiple programs. I have a dell XPS 710 (Alienware) with oodles of memory and plenty of speed so it should not be doing this. The only hardware issue I have had is a hard drive failure about a year and a half ago. (suspected overheating) My O/S is Windows XP Professional SP3. I have completed all malware troubleshooting steps and TOMK in the malware forum was unable to identify an infection of any sort so I know my system is clean. The following link should take you to the logs documenting this.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Computer_Slo…084#entry594084
When using the internet the screen sometimes freezes for 10 seconds or more. No mouse or keyboard controls either. After a bit of time it resumes functioning like nothing had happened. I have had the same thing happen while typing e-mails or word documents. Several times I have come in to my office to find a blue screen that says something like 'NMI - memory parity error - please contact vendor for support.' After a couple of reboots it resumes functioning. It has not done it in over a week. I made sure all of my drivers were up to date. I ran the full suite of Dell Diagnostics twice and I downloaded the microsoft WMD program and let it run for almost 4 days and no errors were found. The diagnostic lights on the front of the tower are showing no error codes. That is why I had TOMK check for infections before I invested too much time troubleshooting hardware and software. I did find out on the web that there are lots and lots of dell laptop owners who have been getting the same error message and dell has yet to come up with a solution other than to shotgun parts in hopes of identifying the problem. Let me know if you have any ideas and thank you for your support so far. It is greatly appreciated.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Computer_Slo…084#entry594084
When using the internet the screen sometimes freezes for 10 seconds or more. No mouse or keyboard controls either. After a bit of time it resumes functioning like nothing had happened. I have had the same thing happen while typing e-mails or word documents. Several times I have come in to my office to find a blue screen that says something like 'NMI - memory parity error - please contact vendor for support.' After a couple of reboots it resumes functioning. It has not done it in over a week. I made sure all of my drivers were up to date. I ran the full suite of Dell Diagnostics twice and I downloaded the microsoft WMD program and let it run for almost 4 days and no errors were found. The diagnostic lights on the front of the tower are showing no error codes. That is why I had TOMK check for infections before I invested too much time troubleshooting hardware and software. I did find out on the web that there are lots and lots of dell laptop owners who have been getting the same error message and dell has yet to come up with a solution other than to shotgun parts in hopes of identifying the problem. Let me know if you have any ideas and thank you for your support so far. It is greatly appreciated.