Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91632 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Windows Update Page Problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jocase

jocase

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:53 AM

When accessing the windows update site, I get a message stating that User Data Persistence Must be enabled to get updates for Win XP service Pack 3. Instructions are given as to how to enable User Data Persistence. Tools, Internet options, security, Internet Zone, Custom, Misc User Data Persistence click enable shut down browser and launch it again. User Data Persistence is enabled. I am not getting Windows updates. Computer was recently cleaned of Malware with TomK's help. Thr error number get is 0x800A0046. I also get a message when windows loads "Error loading CTMBHA.. Dll A dynamic link library (DLL) initalization routine failed."

Edited by jocase, 26 June 2011 - 10:07 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,774 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

ctgmbha.dll problem is a Creative Audio file. Uninstall then reinstall the driver for your sound card to fix it.

Installing SP3 may fix the problem so I would suggest downloading the redistributable .exe version and installing it that way.

You can download the SP3 .exe here: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

Once installed try a Windows Update via IE8 and see if it's fixed.

Rich

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 jocase

jocase

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for responding. I need some clarification.

I have had Service Pac 3 installed for some time. Do you want me to re-install it?
Here is the exact message I get when clicking Start Help update windows on a Dell Computer:

" Please change your Internet Explorer security settings
To save changes to your settings for this website, you need to enable userdata persistence for Internet Explorer. Complete the steps below, and then click Change settings to the left and try saving your changes again. ( my words...The "Change settings to the left" is greyed out)
1. In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
2.Click the Security tab, click the Internet security zone icon, and then click Custom Level.
3.In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.
4.Under Userdata persistence , select Enable.
5.Click OK and when the security warning dialog box appears, click Yes.

Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number 0x800A0046) yourself. "

Following these instructions shows Userdata persistence already enabled.

The other problem which appears randomly, at windows startup "Error loading CTMBHA.DLL" you refer to as ctgmbha.dll. did I mistype it or are those two .DLL's the same?

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,774 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:15 AM

ctgmbha.dll == my fat fingers in action, my typo. S/B ctmbha.dll. Still a Creative file.

See here: http://forums.techgu...ctmbha-dll.html

I thought the problem was that you could not install SP3. Re-reading I see you are not able to apply updates to your SP3 system.

What do you have Automatic Updates set to? If not already there, set it to Notify but not download or install. Then when you get the Yellow shield, select custom ad look at the updates being offered. Select the ones you want (probably all of them) then install and see what happens.

This doesn't fix the problem with Windows Update but should allow you to get updates installed. Maybe you'll get lucky and doing it this way will fix the Windows Update problem? Worth trying.

Rich

#5 jocase

jocase

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:08 AM

You said set it to "Notify but not download or install". I can't do that because the update site will not let me go any further than the error message I pasted into my last post. Before this became a problem, I would get the gold shield in the sys tray. Clicking it would install upates. I haven't seen the gold shield since the malware attack that TomK helped me with. Is there another place that I could check this setting and then try you suggestion? I really think I have got a sys file damaged during my last malware attack. Please advise.

#6 jocase

jocase

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:16 AM

Found setting i Control Panel, will try your suggestion

#7 jocase

jocase

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:21 PM

Set udadtes to Notify but not download or install yesterday. No gold shield yet.

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,774 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:48 PM

Give it a few days, see if it pops up. If not we'll have to try something else. Not sure what yet though.

Rich

#9 jocase

jocase

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:24 PM

My google toolbar just disappeared. How about I post in the malware forum?

#10 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,774 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:48 PM

Definitely worth having the malware folks take a look. Come back here when you get a clean bill of health if you still have problems.

Rich

#11 jocase

jocase

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

OK, Will do.