This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

BSOD while updating ATI drivers

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello

I'm usually the guy "don't fix it unless it's broken" but I went against it… and updated my 1 year old ATI drivers. While updating I received a BSOD and my computer rebooted. It took longer to boot up though. It's working fine for now but only 20 minutes after the BSOD so can't tell yet if everything is fine. I didn't manage to get the BSOD error code/info. Not really sure if I can find it somehow on the system now but I've got this info when the computer rebooted:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1071
Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: 86C96008
BCP2: 9EDAE15E
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000002
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\062611-39140-01.dmp
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-115050-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104…mp;clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt


This is what I found in the event viewer.

"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0x86c96008, 0x9edae15e, 0x00000000, 0x00000002). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 062611-39140-01."

The driver seems to be installed fine. I played few games and they were ok. But they didn't fix what I thought they will. The original intention of updating the drivers was because games were running OK but I was able to notice some choppines when I'm turning sides and looking around in games. I think the same problem this guy explains
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm…threadid=135208

Hah… the choppiness/tearing seems to be all vsync's fault… enabling it in games, removes the choppiness/tearing. I should read more about this vsync thingy.


Any more info you need, just say so.
Well, this is what I did.
Installed SP1. Removed the ati drivers. Rebooted. Downloaded the newest drivers, and again while installing the drivers I received a blue screen. I think the blue screen happened while installing the display driver. Because ATI installs several other stuff too.

"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0x86215008, 0xa150015e, 0x00000000, 0x00000002). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 062711-29811-01."

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1071

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: 86215008
BCP2: A150015E
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000002
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\062711-29811-01.dmp
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-71042-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104…mp;clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt


And now, the Catalyst Control Center seems to be missing.
Hi -

I'd like to obtain the BSOD mini kernel memory dump files & other system information as well. Hopefully this info will yield clues.

Please run –> http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debuggi…structions.html

Zip up the output folder along with the PERFMON System Health report and attach to your next post. The attachment limit is 500k per file, so you will need to create several zip files.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
3 files are missing in the zip

$evtx_app_dump.txt 12.401 KB
$evtx_sys_dump.txt 11.577 KB
hosts.txt 3.207 KB

zipped separately they are around 700KB, 700KB, 600KB

Just to let you know… I went ahead and started the ATI setup again, custom install, and there are a bunch of components here:
  • ATI Catalyst Install Manager
  • AMD APP SDK Runtime
  • ATI Display Driver
  • HDMI/DP AUDIO Driver
  • Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable
  • AMD Drag and Drop Transcoding
  • AMD Media Foundation Decoders
  • AMD VISION Engine Control Center

The installer says that these two 1. ATI Catalyst Install Manager and 3. ATI Display Driver(the one which while installing gives me the BSOD but it's magically installed after the reboot) are installed so I unchecked them and proceeded to install the other components. All went OK and the catalyst control center is back(that's actually the last component AMD VISION Engine Control Center

I think we should stop here unless something bad happens again. I don't have a back up of the system at the moment and I will not be able to experiment like uninstalling/installing. I can provide you with info if you want though. Thanks for all the help.

Attachments:

[*]ATI Catalyst Install Manager

[*]AMD APP SDK Runtime

[*]ATI Display Driver

[*]HDMI/DP AUDIO Driver

[*]Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable

[*]AMD Drag and Drop Transcoding

[*]AMD Media Foundation Decoders

[*]AMD VISION Engine Control Center



The installer says that these two 1. ATI Catalyst Install Manager and 3. ATI Display Driver(the one which while installing gives me the BSOD



NVIDIA are also attaching a lot of 'extras' to their driver downloads and I've had this extra junk cause problems.

Where I have the options to untick extras, I untick and just install the drivers. Problem is with both ATI and NVIDIA, is that
the meaning of the extras is always obscure and no info. is given as to "need or don't need". I work on the principle of "if it has a tick that can be unticked, it's not needed".

Cheers,
Lee
Hi -

Thank you for the files.

The 2 BSODs - bugcheck = 0x116 = video TDR timeout. ATI listed as the probable cause on both. The 2nd dump does reflect the installation of Windows 7 SP1, which did update the DirectX Graphics Kernel.

I also found 3 0x117 Live Kernel Events. They are similar to 0x116 BSODs = video TDR timeout = display adapter unable to reset; 0x117 is also TDR timeout, but is ultimately able to reset video.

Windows 7 was installed on 4 November 2010 and WERCON reports crashes beginning soon after involving Windows Updates, Windows Explorer, msnmsgr.exe, RSIT. Most of the Explorer crashes involved qedit.dll, a core component of Microsoft DirectShow/ Windows Movie Maker and had an exception code = 0xc0000005 = memory access violation.

Did Windows 7 come with the system - or was XP or Vista the first OS?

Have you ever tested RAM? Run memtest86+

There are video-related apps/ drivers that I found that could be contributing to the BSODs -

Rt86win7.sys    Thu Feb 26 04 _linenums:4'>Rt86win7.sys    Thu Feb 26 04:04:22 2009 (49A65B16) - Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
 
SCDEmu.SYS      Mon Jul 07 03:40:49 2008 (4871C881) - PowerISO Virtual Drive driver
pcouffin.sys    Tue Dec 05 09:39:53 2006 (457584B9) - low level access layer for CD devices (A part of many different CD/DVD burning programs)
`
speedfan.sys    Sun Sep 24 09:28:47 2006 (4516880F) - SpeedFan
giveio.sys      Wed Apr 03 22:33:25 1996 (316334F5) - SpeedFan
http://sysnative.com/0x1/DriverReference.html#SCDEmu.SYS
http://sysnative.com/0x1/DriverReference.html#pcouffin.sys

Update Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC - the Feb 2009 driver pre-dates Windows 7 RTM.
http://sysnative.com/0x1/DriverReference.html#Rt86win7.sys

Update SpeedFan - v4.43 is available - http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Or try Speccy - http://www.piriform.com/speccy


Windbg Logs
–> http://sysnative.com/bsod2011/jcgrif…_jcgriff2_.txt
–> http://sysnative.com/bsod2011/jcgrif…riff2_.txt.zip


Regards. . .

jcgriff2


`


BSOD SUMMARY
[font="lucida console"]
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\PalmDesert\_jcgriff2_\dbug\__Kernel__\062711-29811-01.dmp]
Built by: 7601.17592.x86fre.win7sp1_gdr.110408-1631
Debug session time: Mon Jun 27 08:32:33.692 2011 (GMT-4)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:06:57.315
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmpag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmpag.sys
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  GRAPHICS_DRIVER_TDR_FAULT
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x116
PROCESS_NAME:  System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x116_IMAGE_atikmpag.sys
Bugcheck code 00000116
Arguments 86215008 a150015e 00000000 00000002
BiosVersion = 080015 
BiosReleaseDate = 03/24/2010
SystemManufacturer = ECS
SystemProductName = A890GXM-A
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
¨¨¨¨¨¨``
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\PalmDesert\_jcgriff2_\dbug\__Kernel__\062611-39140-01.dmp]
Built by: 7600.20652.x86fre.win7_ldr.100223-1505
Debug session time: Sat Jun 25 19:03:54.891 2011 (GMT-4)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:56:50.899
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmpag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmpag.sys
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  GRAPHICS_DRIVER_TDR_FAULT
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x116
PROCESS_NAME:  System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x116_IMAGE_atikmpag.sys
Bugcheck code 00000116
Arguments 86c96008 9edae15e 00000000 00000002


[CPU Information]
~MHz = REG_DWORD 3392
Component Information = REG_BINARY 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
Configuration Data = REG_FULL_RESOURCE_DESCRIPTOR ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
Identifier = REG_SZ x86 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 3
ProcessorNameString = REG_SZ AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor
VendorIdentifier = REG_SZ AuthenticAMD

Machine ID Information [From Smbios 2.5, DMIVersion 0, Size=2001]
BiosMajorRelease = 8
BiosMinorRelease = 15
BiosVendor = American Megatrends Inc.
BiosVersion = 080015 
BiosReleaseDate = 03/24/2010
SystemManufacturer = ECS
SystemProductName = A890GXM-A
SystemFamily =                       
SystemVersion = 1.0                   
SystemSKU =                       
BaseBoardManufacturer = ECS
BaseBoardProduct = A890GXM-A
BaseBoardVersion = 1.0             
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
¨¨¨¨¨¨``
  

by jcgriff2     
             
         J. C. Griffith, Microsoft MVP   
             
           [url="https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Griffith"][u]https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Griffith[/u][/url]   


           [url="http://www.sysnative.com"][u]www.sysnative.com[/u][/url]
             
           [url="http://www.jcgriff2.com"][u]www.jcgriff2.com[/u][/url] 


¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
¨¨¨¨¨¨


  
Windows 7 came with system. What is WERCON? I haven't got a BSOD except when I was installing the drivers. But they seem to be installed fine. I will try your suggestions if I get a BSOD again. How long does the memtest last? Is it done before windows loads? Because I'm scared of doing stuff before windows loads :D Thanks for all the links, very informative. A big thank you for all the research you've done.
Hi -

WERCON = Windows Error Reporting; it can be found under "Software" in msinfo32 or -

Problem Reports -
START | type view | "View all Problem Reports" | 2x-click on line item for additional crash info

The 0x116 BSODs and 0x117 Live Kernel Events all surrounded the ATI driver installation; however, hundreds of APPCRASHes have occurred since the day Windows 7 was installed. The 0xc0000005 exceptions (memory access violation) can be caused by a rogue driver attempting to access an out-of-bounds memory address, a 3rd party firewall or hardware failure - usually RAM or other underlying hardware that affects RAM's ability to properly hold kernel code.

Memtest86+ is DOS-based, so Windows will not load. It is safe (will not touch your Windows installation on the HDD). Run 1 stick at a time and alternate slots.

I would suggest that you start with the software related items, particularly ATI Tools. ATI has had some problems with drivers. But it is also likely that the new ATI drivers conflicted with another video-related driver, e.g., ATI Tools, USB camera, etc…

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
Hi -

WERCON = Windows Error Reporting; it can be found under "Software" in msinfo32 or -

Problem Reports -
START | type view | "View all Problem Reports" | 2x-click on line item for additional crash info

The 0x116 BSODs and 0x117 Live Kernel Events all surrounded the ATI driver installation; however, hundreds of APPCRASHes have occurred since the day Windows 7 was installed. The 0xc0000005 exceptions (memory access violation) can be caused by a rogue driver attempting to access an out-of-bounds memory address, a 3rd party firewall or hardware failure - usually RAM or other underlying hardware that affects RAM's ability to properly hold kernel code.

Memtest86+ is DOS-based, so Windows will not load. It is safe (will not touch your Windows installation on the HDD). Run 1 stick at a time and alternate slots.

I would suggest that you start with the software related items, particularly ATI Tools. ATI has had some problems with drivers. But it is also likely that the new ATI drivers conflicted with another video-related driver, e.g., ATI Tools, USB camera, etc…

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI