This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

XP theme missing

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

All of a sudden the XP theme for windows and buttons in the display control panel is not there. I've researched endlessly online, tried all the fixes I could, but still no good. The one thing I've not been able to try, is that I'd noticed a repeated correction where they say that the process name and process server name, or main, need to be the same, but I can't find where to check the process server name. All else seems to be running well, but this is extremely annoying, your assistance would be most appreciated. :)
Also, just an addition note, here is the error message I'm trying to fix when trying to turn on Themes in the Services panel: "The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service."

Also, just an addition note, here is the error message I'm trying to fix when trying to turn on Themes in the Services panel:
"The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service."


Hiya Ithsinc, sorry to hear your having problems.
A question to ask, In addition to this, are you getting any error codes with that any numbers with that message?

More info of this message and info of your system spec's would be a great help also.

Jimbo1
You should run chkdsk /r and see if it fixes the problem.

Boot to Safe Mode.
Click on Start then Run.
Type chkdsk /r and press Enter.
Reply Y when asked if you want this to be done at next boot.

Reboot normally.

Chkdsk should run. Let it complete. It may take awhile depending on the size of your hard drive.

See if that fixes the problem. If not, visit our Virus, Spyware & Malware Removal forum to make sure there is no Malware involved. Please read the pinned posts there before you create a thread.

Cheers,
Lee
Hi Jimbo1, Really appreciate the quick reply, and in response to Lee, yes, I've done the chkdsk, did not make a difference. The error message # is 1083, and I did find that same issue online from a few sources, again what seemed to fix the issue for them was making sure the service name and the process server name were the same, but I don't know how to check the process server name. Also, am confident that this is not a malware issue, (do have full version of Malwarebytes, McAfee, run scans and checks routinely, and monitoring is always on), most likely related to having to fix startup issues and update to SP3, which again, is similar to source of this issue for others. As stated, all else seems to be running even better than previously, just this one glitch so far. Thanks again, talk w/you soon.
Hummm the info I find is this, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337

You may take a look at it to see if this may help with your problem, other than that I am not sure what to tell you. We have other techs that may have some insight to this and possibility could offer some help.

2 other options are and not sure if this may fix the problem or not…. Did you get this after trying to do an update? If so roll back to a early restore point prior to the update and see if this may fix the problem. Here how to do so.

  • Item1. 1st and most important thing here is to back up all important data in case you need restore such data in a event of a failure.
  • Item2. Make a restore point before reverting back to an earlier date, This is how you do this. Then follow the instructions of reverting back.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/usi…-restore-in-xp/

Jimbo1
Ok, tried the first link, but didn't make a difference. Can you tell me how to check the name of the service processor for Themes so I can make sure it has the same name?

All of a sudden the XP theme for windows and buttons in the display control panel is not there.


It sounds like you might have some corrupt system files.

First off, please do a system files check.
Open the Run Command and enter sfc.exe /scannow and hit enter.

Cheers,
Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI