This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Which proc or mobo+proc combo do I need?

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have an Antec "New Solution" cube case with internal 350W PSU (their model NSK-1300/1380). My problem is that 350w is just not enough power for even minimal hardware, but case/psu design are prorietary, so there's no other psu I can use instead. I need suggestions for a low-cost, low-power, micro-ATX+proc combo, or a low-cost, low-power proc that will work on ECS mobo model MCP68M-M2 v1.0A (GeForce7050M=M), or MSI models K9N6PGM2-V or K9N6PGM2-V2. (Those are the only 3 micro-atx boards I own.) Its funny… The Antec NSK-1380 is designed (and marketed) as having capacity to handle a total of 4 drives… 1x 5,25, and 3x 3.5… but the dadburn psu cant keep the cpu fan running if any drives are connected. So inevitably the system self-powers-down from overheating. One of the reasons I own 3 micro-atx boards is that I kept thinking I had bad mobos. But since buying the 3rd board I have tested the cpu fan in a full tower case that has 6x sata2 drives and a 500w psu, and the fan works fine. I have also retested all 3 micro-atx boards in mid-towers, with 450w psu and 2-4 drives each… all three boards work fine… and so does the low-profile cpu-cooler (btw… its a Shuiken Scythe). So, empirical evidence suggests that 350 watts is just not enough power. Additionally, if I go to Antec's PSU calculator and plug in all my numbers, it recommends a 450 watt psu is required. At this point I have had more than enough of swapping hardware components. I want to get some systems up and running for some projects I need to deal with. I just dont have much a budget, so need price to play as big of a role as power consumption.
Hi tobe1, welcome to WTT !

I've only ever had one micro PC and that was a Shuttle. It was a great rig but had one glaring problem, no other micro-motherboard except the Shuttle one would fit. Cost heaps and I heard stories of people waiting 6mths. to get a replacement mobo.

I've never bought another micro since.

Antec typically makes fabulous cases and rock-solid power supplies, but this case however is a disaster. and available at discount now for about $20 new.

The Antec PSU doesn’t live up to it’s 350W specification, this caused our system to fail to post intermittently (I thought I’d gotten a bum PSU, so I had Antec send a new one; it failed with the same symptoms).

When you read the fine print, it’s only 110W at +5V and +3.3V combined, not 350W, that’s only +12V. Since the PSU is non-standard, if you need more power, you’re out of luck.

But the problems didn’t stop there:

From review http://www.joelevi.com/blog/index.php/2009…croatx-chassis/

You obviously need another case, but make sure it will fit a standard PSU and any micro-mobo.

Go to Extreme Power Calculator here and type in all the hardware you want to fit into your new case and see what the suggested power wattage you need is. Most people overestimate their power needs. A genuine (quality) 350w in that Antec case would have probably been fine.

Cheers,
Lee
i agree with lee, probably better to buy a new case and psu :- maybe something like this(seems to have decent reviews) :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16811154094

and this :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16817171046

if you want low power cpu/motherboard to use in that case with the power supply tho, depending on what you want to use it for of course, i've heard good things about the atoms(seems they don't do the micro atx mb any more at newegg so i'd check if a mini itx mb(smaller just don't know about mount points) would fit in the case.) :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList….me=Intel%20Atom

checked and the mini itx does use the same mount points(just less) as the micro atx so should fit no probs.

:popcorn:

My problem is that 350w is just not enough power for even minimal hardware

That's not true at all. A 350W supply is plenty enough to run a substantial CPU, lots of RAM and a modest graphics card, or integrated graphics.

but case/psu design are prorietary

No they are not! They comply with microATX standards.

but the dadburn psu cant keep the cpu fan running if any drives are connected.

Oh? A drive, when first spinning up, might consume 30W. After that it settles down to 15 - 20W. If you cannot connect 4 drives without knocking out the CPU fan, that suggests (1) the PSU is faulty, or (2) one of your drives is drawing too much current.

My problem is that 350w is just not enough power for even minimal hardware

That's not true at all. A 350W supply is plenty enough to run a substantial CPU, lots of RAM and a modest graphics card, or integrated graphics.


I think tobe1's erroneous conclusion came from thinking the Antec NSK-1300/1380 had a 350W power source, when in fact it is only 110W.

Cheers,
Lee

I really don't like cases that come with PSU's as I like to fit my own power choice, so the Lian Li comes out on top for me,

Sadly, many retailers will "toss in" a PSU to make a case sell. These are often no-name generics but sometimes, they are name brands though perhaps under rated.

While 350W is actually more than most people need (considering most people don't have monster graphics cards - the biggest consumers) the problem is, the lower wattage PSU are often only found in a maker's entry level line. I think 550W is a good size. It gives wiggle room for expansion, and larger PSUs typically have larger heatsinks to accommodate the greater heat potentials. So a 550W would loaf along quietly while a 350W would be be in a full run, with the cooling fan sounding like a jet engine.

Remember, the computer only draws from the power supply what the computer needs, not what the PSU can deliver. And the PSU draws from the wall the computer's watts, plus 15-30% more for PSU inefficiency (wasted in the form of heat).
Thanks, everyone, for all the help and info, and so quickly!

Digerati,

of course I know what 350W can do. I simply typo ed when I meant to state that the original psu …

and when I stated that the case/psu were proprietary, I was correct in that neither of them will support industry standard formats of their mates. In other words, you cannot (easily) put the nsk-1380 psu into a standard mid-tower and you cannot fit a standard psu into this case (and still have room for anything else).

Finally, I would have been inclined to agree with your suggested causes, but for Lee's friendly and informative explanation regarding the shortcommings of my particular Antec PSU. (Thank you Lee!)

I was hoping I could salvage some use out of an otherwise perfectly good case, especially one that set me back about $80 when I bought it. But if I can't come up with a low-power solution cheaply, I'll either scrap the case or turn it into a planter. = )

I was hoping I could salvage some use out of an otherwise perfectly good case, especially one that set me back about $80 when I bought it. But if I can't come up with a low-power solution cheaply, I'll either scrap the case or turn it into a planter. = )


Turn it into a planter :rofl:

If you going to build a PC, always start out with a good case and then add a good PSU. I use Antec midi-cases that come without PSU's, although they have couple of cases with excellent Antec PSU's in them which I sometimes use for the occasional custom build PC I'm asked to knock together..

With a good quality case, ball bearing fans and a quality PSU, all other hardware can be easily and endlessly upgraded.
It's always worth gritting your teeth $ wise and going for a good quality case (regardless of size), as they are a lot more work to upgrade than the hardware within them. They are also usually very quiet.

After warning against it, my wife went ahead and bought a cheap case with a generic 800W PSU in it last year (to save $) as the basis of a new PC gaming rig.
The PSU was absolute junk (I have held heavier tennis balls) and was never turned on (out of FEAR). It went straight into the bin.
Luckily I had a spare Antec 550w sitting around. The build finally came together, but the case noise, OMG !

So you already know what her first upgrade is going to be (next month). A lot of work involved …for her, not me! :lol:

If you going to build a PC, always start out with a good case and then add a good PSU.



Good advice there, Lee… and so, quite true. The purchase of the Antec NSK-1380 cube was, at the time, purely impulsive… ergo, stupidly done, and well deserving of a "Homer" … :smack: D'oh! :lol:

To reference your signature, buying the cube was the bad judgement that provided the experience I needed to (hopefully) refrain from making such a wasteful purchase again. (Although I really did, and still do like the small footprint.)

thanks again for the help!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI