This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Onslaught of Phantom Returned Emails w/ attachments!

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi! :unsure:

Both in Spam and in my Inbox I have been beseiged with returned emails that I never sent in the first place. They all have attachments, too. I'm too worried to open them, though. I also received an "auto-desk" reply from someone who I know… but to whom I never sent an email !!

Any hints about what this might be about?

Thank you, kindly.



First thing to do is Change your email password.
Though if this is malware related, the malware will pick up the password change.
Therefore, use a known-good second machine to make the change.

Next, post over to Malware Removal to assure the machine is clear.

Post back here if problems persist.


Password now changed using known-good second machine.
Advised to post here to assure machine is clear.

How do I assure machine is clear?

Thank you so kindly.

Please note that all instructions given are customised for this computer only, the tools used may cause damage if used on a computer with different infections.

If you think you have similar problems, please post the appropriate logs in the Malware Removal forum and wait for help.

Hi. :)

I'm Dakeyras and I am going to try to assist you with your problem. Please take note of the below:
  • I will start working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine!
  • The process is not instant. Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine is clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • Refrain from running self fixes as this will hinder the malware removal process.
  • It may prove beneficial if you print of the following instructions or save them to notepad as I post them.
  • Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.
Vista Advice:

All applications I ask to be used will require to be run in Administrator mode. IE: Right click on and select Run as Administrator.

The Operating System in use comes with a inbuilt utility called User Access Control(UAC) when prompted by this with anything I ask you to do carry out please select the option Allow.

Before we start:

Please be aware that removing Malware is a potentially hazardous undertaking. I will take care not to knowingly suggest courses of action that might damage your computer. However it is impossible for me to foresee all interactions that may happen between the software on your computer and those we'll use to clear you of infection, and I cannot guarantee the safety of your system. It is possible that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system, or to necessitate you taking your computer to a repair shop.

Because of this, I advise you to backup any personal files and folders before you start.

Security Application Check:

Please download and save SecurityCheck.exe to your Desktop from one of the links below.

Link 1
Link 2
  • Right-click SecurityCheck.exe and select Run as Administrator then follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt
  • Please post the contents of that document in your next reply.
Scan with OTL:

Please download OTL and save it to your Desktop.

Alternate downloads are here and here.
  • Right-click on OTL.exe and select Run as Administrator to start OTL.
  • Under Output, ensure that Minimal Output is selected.
  • Under Extra Registry section, select Use SafeList.
  • Click the Scan All Users checkbox.
  • Click on Run Scan at the top left hand corner.
  • When done, two Notepad files will open.
    • OTL.txt <– Will be opened
    • Extra.txt <– Will be minimized
  • Please post the contents of these 2 Notepad files in your next reply.
When completed the above, please post back the following in the order asked for:
  • How is your computer performing now, any further symptoms and or problems encountered?
  • SecurityCheck Log.
  • Both OTL logs. <– Post them individually please, IE: one Log per post/reply.
Thank you so kindly for your response. I am in the throws of a medical emergency. I will post when I am able to tend to the malware issue. Thank you, thank you.
You're most welcome! :) Nothing to serious I hope. Normally I close a topic after say three days with no activity but giving the situation I am prepared to leave this topic open longer. However if in the event due to unforeseen circumstances you are unable to continue the Malware Removal(check) again by say the end of next week please let myself know, thank you.
Hi Dakeyras, Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful post. Yes, it is not only serious, but long term. The prognosis is undetermined period(s) of time when I will be unable to post or complete any tasks at the computer. Although it is not certain when or for how long I will need to shut down or leave my work at the computer, it is definate that I am not able to enter into any important work that would cause harm in the likely event I am suddenly called away. Should this situation change, I will let you know. Additionally, I share this computer with others. In consulting them about what you have proposed, they were concerned that I take this on due to the risks involved in addition to the reasons I have outlined above. Personally, I don't know of any better way than to work with you and follow your direction to address a Malware Removal check. There may be long periods of time when I won't be called away…but I can't count on nor plan for anything as the only certainty is, at best, chronically acute unpredictability. Thank you so kindly for your help. Any further suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Hi. :) Firstly you're very welcome and my sincere sympathy for your medical situation. OK with regard to the possibly infected machine the situation is far from ideal plus with it being a shared machine further compounds matters…as in during the course of a Malware Removal process not good at all if the machine is being used online by say different individuals for example. I cannot say for certain if I will identify anything malicious and or how long it would take to eradicate such unfortunately as each situation and machine is pretty much unique if you will. The only really viable solutions would be if you are unable to set aside the time to continue this topic would be either another individual creates a account here in WTT who has access to the machine and posts in this topic the requested logs for example. Or if that is not a option maybe consider a reformat and reinstallation of the Windows Operating System and at least that way you can be sure the machine is clean. Not a lot else I can either think of and or advise being honest I'm afraid as my support is provided via this forum with no physical access to the machine.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI