This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Self-rearranging Desktop Icons, Disappearing ToolBars

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

📎00552.png
The attached screenshot shows my desktop icons and the taskbar.

I have a bunch of icons arranged in certain positions on the screen where I would like them to stay, AND I've added "Desktop" and "32Admin" toolbars to the taskbar.

At what seems to be random moments, my icons all rearrange themselves on the left hand side of the Desktop, and sometimes the toolbars disappear from the taskbar(not sure if it's coinciding with the desktop icon rearranging themselves)

Computer: Sony VAIO laptop
Operating Systems: Dual boot Windows XP Pro 32-bit (which is where this is happening), Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
Anti-virus: AntiVir (free version)
Firewall: Windows
Anti-Spyware: SpywareBlaster and MalwareBytes Anti-malware

I have changed "My Documents" in XP to point to D:\users\linda\documents and in Windows 7 I have changed Documents, Pictures and Music to point to subfolders on the D: partition as well - some of these special folders are pointed to by both OS's. Let me know if more details needed on that.

Removed HJT log:
LDT

[I"m not sure if my computer is infected, so I'm attaching HijackThis log just in case.



If you suspect that you may have an infection, it may be best to head over to the Malware section and have yourself check out, by following this link, http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=106388 if They give a report of all clean, then post back here to get help.

Jimbo1
Jimbo I've decided to revert back to a known good image of my disk. thanks anyway. If it crops up again I will definitely post in the Malware section. have a nice day :)
Linda, just food for thought.

I use DesktopOK to keep my icons on my Desktop exactly where I want then in Windows 7. Probably works with XP as well.
I use Iconoid to do the same thing on XP.

With Iconoid, these are the settings I always use:

Under Hiding: Never Hide
Under Position: Automatically restore when Iconoid starts or screen resolution changes
Under Options: Start Iconoid with Windows; Hide when started; click the Hide button at bottom.

Won't help with Toolbars that go missing though.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI